OSLC Communications User Group April 11, 2017
Agenda and Discussion
Community Revamp - Bill and Axel will work together to plan/organize this activity. In addition, need to discuss the current funding of the open-services.net site - should be moved from IBM paying for it to the OSLC Community. Axel is still in search of a community manager. Any update? No update this month.
- ACTION - Bill will follow up with Axel.
- IBM will continue paying for the current open-services.net site as we figure out the plan for the community revamp. We will revisit this topic in a couple of months if it takes longer than expected to launch an updated site. The community currently costs $91/month and going forward OASIS will pay for the open-services.net community. ACTION - Kalena will send the “Keys to the Kingdom” document to the Steering Committee to be posted on the wiki. This will allow us to open up the ownership and editing of the site, so that the responsibility doesn’t fall on a single person. ACTION - Kalena will move this forward to be voted on, at the upcoming Steering Committee on April 18th. Need a summary of the actions and what needs to be done in order for the payment of the community to be transferred.
- open-services.net was initially created to allow a community to participate in spec development. A lot of the old specification and user groups are still maintained on open-services.net even though they’re managed by OASIS now.
- Jim suggested we transition ownership of open-services.net to the OSLC Steering Committee – payment and ability to maintain.
- Jim said we also need to manage the 2.0 content on the open-services.net site. We should also continually leveraging blogs, announcements, notices, etc
- The community migration is a separate effort and we can take our time on this effort
- OSLC Community Clean Up - Mark sent an email with numerous suggested improvements. Kalena will implement the simple clean up items, but this will be revisited once we start planning to create the new site.
OSLC Community Update – Proposed May for the meeting, but Nelson suggested we determine the agenda and then set a date. Potential topics of discussion:
- OSLC 3.0 Core announcement – should be the main theme of the update. Voting has passed, so need the approval of the StC. Then can elicit statements of use – need to provide 3 statements of use. Once we have that, we can have a vote to become an OASIS standard. OSLC 3.0 is compatible with OSLC 2.0. There are no “must” in OSLC 3.0. All the statement of uses from 2.0 are compatible with 3.0, but we don’t have this validated. A specification should not be made a standard without validation. This is done through use cases from the user body for OASIS. For w3c you would need a test suite, but this is not required by OASIS. We don’t currently have anyone developing using 3.0 to use as a test case. The StC would need to balance the 2.0 statements of use without having actual validation on 3.0. To implement a statement of use – we need 3 organizations to write a letter and the people writing would have to agree that their statements of use for 2.0 pose minimal threat for 3.0. Rainer suggested IBM, Tasktop, Mentor Graphics, and PTC. If this is the main topic, when will it be ready? Jim is unsure how long it will take. Jim will address it at the upcoming Core meeting to see who is willing to create a statement of use. Jim is also unaware of how long the validation may take place or the process. Jim will send Chet an email and ask him how long he thinks it will take. Rainer prefers we wait for this topic. Bill thinks we should postpone the update until we can properly announce our first specification under OASIS. Rainer said we possibly want to have a minor update soon and then a major update later in the year depending on how long it takes to announce the 3.0 specification.
- Extending our OSLC community to new areas (Concept of Integrated Lifecycle Management, reaching out to IIC, IoT or XCode initiatives)
- 10th Anniversary – Discuss areas in which we are highlighting the anniversary
- Provide overview of OSLC – lists of vendors and products to highlight the usage of OSLC
- Opportunities for community to help
- Additional topics? OSLC Open Source Options – this is one way for people to contribute
Datasheet Update - We need to update this datasheet to highlight things are community is doing, so that all companies want to share this at conferences.
– ACTION - Kalena has received updates from Rainer and Mark. Kalena will check to see if we can get the source of the document from Jane.
2017 Events What events do we want to support/fund in 2017? Is there an Industrial Consortium event in 3Q2017?
- ACTION - Kalena will also ask Axel if he’s aware of events we should have a presence.
- ICE 2017 is currently being planned. Looking at New Orleans the week of November 14 or November in Nashville, TN. Allocate funds to celebrate the 10th year of OSLC. Kalena suggested we should do the BoF luncheon. Beth suggested we plan to have scheduled talks. Discuss possible networking activities
- Industrial Internet Consortium in Dec. 2017 - Need to add to the events page – Especially the one where they meet with the OMG. Should we highlight this as an event or some other coordination. Rainer said we should first talk to them to determine how we want to work with them. IIC is interested in speaking with us, but we need to assign a focal point from the StC to talk to them. Bill volunteered to be the focal.
- PLM World - Bill, were you able to find out if we can have a presence at this event? Bill would not be able to attend this event and it’s too late to make changes to their currently scheduled plans.
- GPDIS - Is there a benefit of doing anything more from an OSLC perspective at this event? Mark and Bill are attending, but it’s not the right event for OSLC.
Prospective promotional ideas:
Proposed Addition to the Mission Statement - State that OSLC endeavors to have a minimal-coupling methodology where it maximizes opportunity for integration. Jim thought this really wasn’t a vision thing since we ought not to limit what others can do. This type of message can be announced and discussed in forums, etc. Also noted was that there’s a open-services.net discussion on this very subject.
- ACTION - Kalena will check with Nelson and Jim as to what was suppose to be discussed at the Comm WG
Scorecard - What are our goals? Why do we want to track things on the community?