[Oslc-steeringcommittee] AI: keeping the initial assessment document as a living and ongoing assessment

Ersch, Rainer rainer.ersch at siemens.com
Mon Jul 23 08:38:23 EDT 2012

Dear StC Colleagues,
this mail is in response to the action item Sean assigned to me from our last meeting:

4. Rainer: open the subject of "keeping the initial assessment document as a living and ongoing assessment" on the mailing list, cover the benefits of doing so, and propose how we'll cover the cost (in time) of doing so

This action item was based on my comment, when Sean presented the "OSLC initial assessment", not to stop here with the assessment. As indicated in the action item, my proposal was to keep this document (work) going and monitor progress over time. Especially some of the numbers (members, participating companies, workgroup sessions and participants, etc.) could serve as a base matrix to monitor. Based on these numbers, "someone" should draw conclusions from time to time, and some of these numbers should be published to document OSLC success.
As far as the numbers are concerned, hopefully the new governance model (OSLC membership, WPA signees, ..) and the new infrastructure (page hits, etc) will make it easier to get such numbers. For some others, we could ask e.g. the WG leads to provide them on quarterly bases (e.g. number of WG meetings and participants). Publishing could be done by the COM WG. StC (and analysts?) could evaluate and draw conclusions.

What are the right numbers we want to monitor?
Here are some examples:

-            Number of OSLC members

-            Number of participating companies (companies of OSLC members)

-            Number of released spec (versions)

-            Number of WG meetings, participants, ...

-            Number of partners (SDO, other associations and such we work with, ..)

-            Number of contributors on Lyo

-            Number of contributions on Lyo

-            Number of implementations (as listed on "Software")

-            Number of vendors with released products with OSLC implementations

-            Number of publications (webcasts, conference talks, ...)

-            Some Page hits on "open-services.net" (e.g. "ABOUT" as indicator for "new" interest, "BLOG" as info about active users, ...)

There are some more suggestions in Sean initial assessment paper (see attached). The basic question is: how do we come to useful and easy to maintain list?  The next question is, what kind of conclusions do we expect (growth rates expectations, release frequencies, ...). We could monitor the numbers for a while and then identify areas to work on.
If this topic is important to us, we should give our Operation Coordinator to collect these numbers with the help of some other roles. Keep in mind, we only have one Operation Coordinator and we should keep an eye on the workload and priorities we assign to him.

Please feel free to comment on this and add your ideas and concerns.

Bye and have a nice day
Rainer