[oslc-rm] Using level 0 labels for OSLC links

Yuriy Yermakov Yuriy.Yermakov at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 20 12:49:57 EDT 2013

Hello Ian,

Thank you for the explanation.
I'm sorry I should have included use cases in the first place.

Let's assume I'm a developer for a tool that provides integration via OSLC
with some RM tool. My tool has a capability of creating links using OSLC
requirement selection dialogs. Such links are stored in my tool's database
and are labeled with oslc:label values returned by selection dialogs. The
labels are shown in my tool's UI by default until user gets authenticated
against the RM tool. Then labels in UI are replaced with real requirement
titles.
Because OSLC selection dialogs in the RM tool return only level 0 labels,
everybody is happy as there is no security or UI issues.

Now I want to do some automation by creating links programmatically. I use
OSLC query services to retrieve requirement URIs for new links. I want to
be consistent and label links in the same way as before, i.e. with "level
0" requirement labels. But when I open OSLC specifications, I cannot find
how it can be done, how I retrieve level 0 labels using requirement URIs.
Another problem, what should I do when I'm requested to extend my OSLC
integration to another RM tool that does not follow the guidance and
provides requirement labels in OSLC selection results? It looks like my
options are to abandon either security or consistency.

I hope this clears up my concern a bit.

Best regards,

Yuriy

<oslc-rm-bounces at open-services.net>
> Date: 2013-08-20 08:29
> Subject: Re: [oslc-rm] Using level 0 labels for OSLC links
>
> Hello Yuriy
>
> I think the use case for compact rendering may justify the fact that a
level 0 label may not be part of the OSLC
> representation of the requirement.  What use cases do you have for
making use of such labels more uniform across the
> resource model?
>
> The guidance for link labels indicates that the label should be the
label of the link, not a copy of the label of the
> object of the link.  There are reasons for this - security is one of
them - and another is maintaining the freshness
> of the link label if it is a copy of something else.  So the link label
is really a label of the link.  Not all OSLC
> implementations follow this guidance.
>
> best wishes,
>    -ian
>
> ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
> IBM Rational
>
> "Oslc-Rm" <oslc-rm-bounces at open-services.net> wrote on 19/08/2013
22:51:22:

> > From: Yuriy Yermakov <Yuriy.Yermakov at us.ibm.com>
> > To: oslc-rm at open-services.net,
> > Date: 19/08/2013 22:51
> > Subject: [oslc-rm] Using level 0 labels for OSLC links
> > Sent by: "Oslc-Rm" <oslc-rm-bounces at open-services.net>
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > As far as I know, when it comes to OSLC link labels, OSLC recommends
> > to store only "Level 0" labels, i.e. some sort of abstract labels.
> > Primary reasons are security (no one to see real data until
> > authenticated) and avoiding data duplication.
> > One of examples that follow this approach is OSLC selection dialogs
> > in Rational DOORS Web Access. When you pick a requirement, the
> > dialog won't give you the requirement's title or some other
> > attribute that would have any meaning. Instead it returns a string
> > that consists of DOORS module name and the requirement's unique
number.
> > Personally, I understand and support the approach. But I believe
> > that it should be formalized in OSLC specs.
> > Each OSLC resource should (or may) have this property, level 0 label
> > (human readable string, preferably constant) to be used as OSLC link
label.
> > If OSLC Service Provider returns level 0 resource labels in
> > selection dialogs, then it must also provide them as part of
> > resource RDF data, support them in queries, etc., and vice versa.
> > Do you think it's a valid suggestion?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Yuriy Yermakov
> > Advisory Software Engineer