[oslc-rm] Using level 0 labels for OSLC links

Yuriy Yermakov Yuriy.Yermakov at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 19 17:51:22 EDT 2013

Hello All,

As far as I know, when it comes to OSLC link labels, OSLC recommends to
store only "Level 0" labels, i.e. some sort of abstract labels.
Primary reasons are security (no one to see real data until authenticated)
and avoiding data duplication.
One of examples that follow this approach is OSLC selection dialogs in
Rational DOORS Web Access. When you pick a requirement, the dialog won't
give you the requirement's title or some other attribute that would have
any meaning. Instead it returns a string that consists of DOORS module
name and the requirement's unique number.
Personally, I understand and support the approach. But I believe that it
should be formalized in OSLC specs.
Each OSLC resource should (or may) have this property, level 0 label
(human readable string, preferably constant) to be used as OSLC link
label.
If OSLC Service Provider returns level 0 resource labels in selection
dialogs, then it must also provide them as part of resource RDF data,
support them in queries, etc., and vice versa.
Do you think it's a valid suggestion?

Regards,

Yuriy Yermakov
Advisory Software Engineer