[oslc-rm] Clarification on views and viewpoints in SysML

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Tue Aug 13 06:30:25 EDT 2013

Hello all

at yesterdays call, Yuriy presented some material on views and viewpoints
in SysML.  There was some good discussion and some questions that we felt
might be best shared more widely.

Can the content of a SysML view be defined by "something like a query". We
understood that a "static" definition is possible (a fixed list of package
<<import>>).  Is it possible to define a view with something like a query
(e.g., all classes in a package with some particular stereotype)?
What is the meaning and purpose of a SysML viewpoint, and what does it
mean for a view to <<conform>> to a viewpoint?

We're trying to understand if there is some common ground between views of
requirements (e.g., DOORS views) and views of model elements (e.g., in
Rhapsody and RSA).

The minutes from the meeting can be found in the usual place [1].  Those
minutes have a link to the wiki pages that we discussed on the call.

[1]
http://open-services.net/wiki/requirements-management/meeting-12-8-2013/

best wishes,
    -ian