[oslc-rm] Adding new predicates to the RM specification

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Wed Sep 7 09:03:05 EDT 2011

On our recent biweekly calls there has been some discussion around
scenarios that can be best described as "RM-to-RM" scenarios.  By this I
mean two RM applications with traceability between them.  These two RM
systems may be instances of the same product, or could be different
products.  The particular scenario we we're looking at is described at
[1].

One of the reasons that this scenario cannot be satisfied currently is
that the elaboration relationship (oslc_rm:elaboratedBy) is one-sided.
There is no oslc_rm:elaborates that can be used to link to other
requirements in some other system.

 A simple suggestion is to extend the vocabulary with oslc_rm:elaborates.
  There are of course other RM-to-RM relationships that are as important -
for example, "satisfaction", "decomposes" etc.

There are two issues here that I would like the workgroup to consider:

(1) We can never have a complete list of all interesting relationships
that are relevant to RM.  We've discussed this frequently enough in the
past, and have always conceded that would be able to make progress with a
simplistic approach (to enumerate the link types in the specification).

My view here is that whilst we ought to consider a means to create new
link types (OSLC Property creation, perhaps) we can also look for some
symmetry in the link predicates that we've defined.  This would involving
introducing new terms:

        oslc_rm:elaborates
        oslc_rm:specifies

that correspond to existing predicates oslc_rm:elaboratedBy,
oslc_rm:specifiedBy.   The other predicates (affectedBy, trackedBy,
implementedBy and validatedBy) look like less of a priority since they are
more obviously not RM-to-RM, but we could consider adding those too.

(2) Paul pointed out that the behaviour of query over RM-to-RM links may
require some clarification.  The scope of OSLC Simple Query is not
required to span service providers.  Links from resources in one provider
are not required to be accessible to query at some other provider.  For
links which naturally cross providers (RM-to-CM, RM-to-QM and so on) this
query "fault line" is not entirely satisfactory but it is understandable
to clients.  With RM-to-RM links, the fault line is no longer so obvious,
because the link type is not so obviously going across a provider.

My personal view on (2) is that RM 2.0 clients should not be assuming that
the currently specified link types are "cross-provider" (indeed, we took
care not to bake such a constraint into the specification).  Thus a simple
query involving "elaboratedBy" could in fact be entirely within a service
provider (requirement elaboratedBy requirement).

(3) We would like there to be a way to bring these new predicates into the
community .  Our discussions touched on the idea of extending the RM 2.0
specification (in a backwards compatible way), rather then having to wait
for an RM 3.0 specification.  I'll fire this question to the OSLC core
mailing list and see if there is preferred way to do this.

[1]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmElaborationBusinessRequirements

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational