[oslc-rm] Baselines in RM/OSLC

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jun 28 05:13:17 EDT 2011

Hello all
at today's bi-weekly meeting we discussed the way in which requirements and
other resources might interact as part of the baselining scenarios that are
being considered by the OSLC Core workgroup.

I've written up some thoughts [1] and would like feedback on how we see RM
influencing the way baselines are used.

The OSLC Core baselining home page can be found at [2]; this contains some
scenarios, one of which, "Requirements-driven development" is the one I was
focussing on.  (It is expressed in terms of RM and QM, one of many such
scenarios.)  We also have some baselining scenarios from Rainer at [3].

I've a couple of specific questions:

      Are these scenarios meaningful?
      What other scenarios should we consider?
      The deliverable workproduct contains traceability between RM and QM.
      This workproduct takes some time to achieve (perhaps weeks).  When
      errors are detected late in this phase, for example, an untestable
      requirement is encountered, how would those errors be rectified
      without having to re-do all the work to date (creating a new baseline
      with the corrected resource state and re-create traceability).

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmBaseliningDiscussion
[2] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/BaselinesInOslc
[3] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmScenariosSiemens

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational