[oslc-rm] RM/AM integration scenarios

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Thu Mar 4 08:52:16 EST 2010

Hello all,
We've been discussing the scenario Torge to the wiki describing how
derived requirements are produced for safety-critical systems at EADS.

The basic workflow is that requirements are created in RM, and elaborated
until a covering set of <<derived>> requirements is obtained.

The elaboration of these requirements is performed in a modelling tool,
where the analysis is performed and the <<derived>> requirements are
obtained.  These requirements

Traceability is created during the workflow:

        Requirements <<satisfiedBy>> Model elements <<derived>> Model
elements
        Requirements <<derived>> Requirements (*)

The <<derived>> requirements on the RM side are "human-readable"
representations of the corresponding <<derived>> model elements.  Torge
mentioned PNGs, PDFs and so on - imaging a PNG of a use-case diagram.

Here are observations that we've made on this scenario:

        - this is certainly a valid scenario, but we wonder to what extent
the "human-readable" representations of the model should be treated as RM
resources.  Is this a necessary part of the integration scenario, or is it
a consequence of the limitations of the tools that are currently in use
(DOORS and Rhapsody).
        - the scenario postconditions are that the requirements in
question are covered - for each one, there is a <<satisfying>> model
element.   Currently, OSLC query would not admit such a question to be
asked.
        - OSLC RM does not talk about "pictures" as requirements, only
textual requirements.  we discussed this during 1.0 and deferred it.

I think a crucial question is the first one raised here - do we see
Torge's scenario as being requirement elaboration, with supporting
evidence provided by models, or do we see it as model element proxies in
RM.

Comments/discussion welcomed.

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational