[OSLC-RM] Discussion on requirement factory

Lachlan Macpherson lmacpherson at uk.ibm.com
Wed Oct 14 10:33:08 EDT 2009

Hi All,

If we did use the existing Service Discovery mechanism, I assume that we
would still need to add extra information to the RDF / XML of the
Requirement itself. The Service Discovery mechanism would allow us to
model a "parent/child" relationship but would not handle child order
information. Would this also mean that we potentially have 2 different
URLs for a requirement? One for editing / reading the Requirement and one
in the Service Discovery document for creating child Requirements.

I'm also not sure if this is subverting the use of the Service Discovery
mechanism for something for which it was not intended to be used.

I think the easiest solution would be to have a generic factory and have
extra information such as links that linked to parents / siblings to
provide the structure. As Ian has said, this is not very generic and it
would not be right to assume that all implementers of OSLC/RM would have
structures that conform to this.

Ian mentioned having structural properties on a Requirement. Another
possibility might be having something like a container Resource (Module in
DOORS) and having structure properties on that in the form of an ordered
tree of links-to-requirements. In this, the Requirements themselves don't
need to know where they live but it is up to some other resource to
capture their context and the same Requirement could be specified in a
number of different places.. This is just some initial thoughts I had so I
thought I would just share them.

Cheers,

Lachlan