[Oslc-recon] Vocabulary document: missing/broken links

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 15 12:09:51 EST 2013

Someone sent me the following.  They had been following each "See Also"
link on
http://open-services.net/wiki/reconciliation/Common-IT-Resource-Type-Vocabulary-Version-2.0/

> can't find data type for the following properties from crtv:
> assetTag, dependsOn,  elementFrom, elementTo, observationTime,
occursBefore,  processId, version

I looked into this far enough to conclude that there are several classes
of problem behind this:

1: Terms whose see-also links whose document URL works,  but whose
fragment component (id) is not found at the target URL.  Example: assetTag

2: Terms without any see-also links.  Aside from the window between start
of drafting and entry into convergence, it's hard to think of why >0 of
these should exist.  Given that Recon is not *in* that window, they're
bugs.  There should  be >=1 exploiting spec for each term, and it should
be pointed to.  Examples: most aside from assetTag

3: To cover the drafting window, and perhaps to cover other cases where
other parties ask Recon to define terms required by their scenarios that
"seem common", we could use the "vocabulary term maturity annotation
vocabulary" that Core has recently been discussing.  That's probably more
optional.

Today value-types are asserted in specifications, not vocabulary.  There
might be a case to be made for asserting a "default" value type at the
vocabulary level to satisfy requests like this, but unless we feel the
need to experiment we're better off waiting for Core to establish
practices there.