[Oslc-recon] When applying reconciliation rules, should we take into account case sensitivity ?

Tuan Dang tdang at us.ibm.com
Tue May 21 14:59:43 EDT 2013

Hi all,

The specific case is in the use of crtv:SoftwareServer, and particularly
crtv:name when representing an Oracle database instance.
Oracle on Windows treats the instance name as case insensitive. Oracle on
*IX treats the instance name as case sensitive.

Existing product A transforms all Oracle instance names to lower case.
Existing product B leaves all Oracle instance names as-is.

A and B are now OSLC service providers and registers their Oracle
instances into registry R which functions as a reconciliation engine.
R does case-sensitive string comparisons by default. At this point, data
from A and B are not reconciling and the product teams are
trying to agree on one common way of storing instance names.

The spec[1] and implementers' guidance doc[2] treat this on a per-property
basis. The issue is that we are always working from behind. Some new set
of data
might now force a change in both the spec and existing product
implementations.

Some proposals that have been discussed:
   1 - Do not handle in the specification. This can be dealt with in
implementation , either via agreement between the providers or via a
transformation component in
        the reconciliation engine.
   2 - Make case insensivity the default behavior for reconciliation in
all cases involving string names. Even if something has to be compared or
queried in a case-sensitive way,
        customers will not deliberately use identifiers that depend on
case sensitivity.  Reconciling in a case insensitive way will bypass all
these issues and we will not
        have to worry migration or incompatibilities.

I'll add this discussion to our next WG meeting as well.

[1]
http://open-services.net/wiki/reconciliation/OSLC-Reconciliation-Specification-Version-2.0
[2]
http://open-services.net/wiki/reconciliation/OSLC-Reconciliation-Guidance-for-Implementers/

Thanks ! T

Tuan Dang
Tivoli OSLC governance, OSLC Reconciliation workgroup lead, Tivoli Common
Data Model
Internet: tdang at us.ibm.com
phone: (919) 224-1242 T/L 687-1242