[Oslc-recon] Common IT Resource Type vocabulary

Tuan Dang tdang at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 27 15:54:16 EDT 2013

Hi Martin,

> I have some questions about the Common IT Resource Type vocabulary
> that is under the OSLC Recon WG.
>
> (Firstly, the link from the "Resource definitions" part of the spec
> to the vocab document is broken. This seems to be a common problem
> on the OSLC wiki. Also, the File:reconciliation.xml  link at the top
> of the vocab page itself is broken.)

Fixed.

> Both the wiki page and the TURTLE document contain RDF instances
> such as "crtv:ThreadPool", "crtv:WebSphereServer",
> "crtv:J2EEServer", and "crtv:MQQueue". In the TURTLE document these
> are under a comment that identifies them as "constants".
>
> What are these constants/instances for?  I presume that they (apart
> from crtv:NULL) are to demonstrate which class should be used for
> each type of resource that they are named after (e.g. that J"EE
> servers should be of type "crtv:SoftwareServer" and MQ Queues should
> be of type "crtv:SoftwareModule"). However I cannot find this
> documented anywhere.
>
> If that is the case, then it seems to me that they shouldn't be in
> the same file with the official crtv vocab. Even if they are terms
> that have been used by systems while the vocabulary has been
> developed (at this stage it looks like they should not be used as
> the object of an rdf:type triple as they are not themselves of type
> rdfs:Class) then would they be better in a separate vocab file? If
> they aren't used as terms anywhere, then just stating these
> suggested mappings on a wiki page somewhere should suffice? Perhaps
> they could form part of the "OSLC Reconciliation Version 2.0
> Appendix A: Samples" appendix (incidentally also either a broken
> link or not created yet).

More information at [1]

Main reason that there is more in the vocabulary than the spec is that we
have cases where multiple products
want to use common data representations even when there is no requirement
for reconciliation.
I'll work with the WG folks to organize the site better.

[1]
http://open-services.net/wiki/reconciliation/OSLC-Reconciliation-Guidance-for-Implementers/#Categorizing-Resources

Thanks ! T

Tuan Dang
Tivoli OSLC governance, OSLC Reconciliation workgroup lead, Tivoli Common
Data Model
Internet: tdang at us.ibm.com
phone: (919) 224-1242 T/L 687-1242