[Oslc-recon] Common IT Resource Type vocabulary

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Wed Mar 27 07:05:42 EDT 2013

I have some questions about the Common IT Resource Type vocabulary that is
under the OSLC Recon WG.

(Firstly, the link from the "Resource definitions" part of the spec to the
vocab document is broken. This seems to be a common problem on the OSLC
wiki. Also, the File:reconciliation.xml  link at the top of the vocab page
itself is broken.)

Both the wiki page and the TURTLE document contain RDF instances such as
"crtv:ThreadPool", "crtv:WebSphereServer", "crtv:J2EEServer", and
"crtv:MQQueue". In the TURTLE document these are under a comment that
identifies them as "constants".

What are these constants/instances for?  I presume that they (apart from
crtv:NULL) are to demonstrate which class should be used for each type of
resource that they are named after (e.g. that J"EE servers should be of
type "crtv:SoftwareServer" and MQ Queues should be of type
"crtv:SoftwareModule"). However I cannot find this documented anywhere.

If that is the case, then it seems to me that they shouldn't be in the
same file with the official crtv vocab. Even if they are terms that have
been used by systems while the vocabulary has been developed (at this
stage it looks like they should not be used as the object of an rdf:type
triple as they are not themselves of type rdfs:Class) then would they be
better in a separate vocab file? If they aren't used as terms anywhere,
then just stating these suggested mappings on a wiki page somewhere should
suffice? Perhaps they could form part of the "OSLC Reconciliation Version
2.0 Appendix A: Samples" appendix (incidentally also either a broken link
or not created yet).

(The context for my looking at this vocab is that it might be useful to
reuse in some scenarios we're looking at for v3 of the OSLC Automation
spec, but those extra terms in the vocabulary document were confusing.
Especially as in the wiki page they're mixed in with the rest of the
vocabulary as it's all in alphabetical order, unlike in the TURTLE
document where the constants are separated out.)

I appreciate that this is still a work in progress, but there's a number
of things that could be done here to aid the consumability of these pages
to someone coming to them anew, even if familiar with other OSLC domains.

Martin Pain