[Oslc-pm] Questions on spec draft/vocabulary

Tuan Dang tdang at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 26 14:57:47 EDT 2012

We moved process to crtv.

disk looks like it should be mapped to crtv:StorageVolume ?

Thanks ! T

Tuan Dang
Tivoli OSLC governance, Tivoli Common Data Model
Internet: tdang at us.ibm.com
phone: (919) 224-1242 T/L 687-1242

From:   John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS
To:     oslc-pm at open-services.net,
Date:   09/26/2012 02:51 PM
Subject:        [Oslc-pm] Questions on spec draft/vocabulary
Sent by:        oslc-pm-bounces at open-services.net

While synching up the vocabulary document with the current spec draft, the
following questions occurred to me.

Q1: pm:process and pm:disk do not seem like they are properties of a
generic PerformanceMonitoringRecord.  They seem like properties of a
computer system or similar animal.  So they may be in the wrong table, and
possibly more appropriate in another namespace like CRTV.  I.e. if I
mentally say they're just in the wrong table, then (in the Perf Mon
vocabulary) I have to come up with a description for them that applies to
PerformanceMonitoringRecords generally, not computer systems specifically.
 I can imagine ways to re-use those concepts in places other than computer
systems, FWIW (resource pools, images, ...).

Q2: pm:availabilityStatus - I'm unclear what this is the status of.  I
thought it would be the status of a monitoring agent, but it's in the
PerformanceMonitoringRecord properties table.

Q3: Metric URI PercentageSpaceUsed - "Percentage" in the name seems
limiting.  I thought that aspect (units) was orthogonal to the metric
semantic, as the diagram above the PerformanceMonitoringRecord table
suggests.  I would expect something like

   ems:observes        #obs1,
   #obs1 a ems:Measure,
      ems:metric                pm:SpaceUsed,
      ems:numericValue        80,
      ems:unitOfMeasure        dbpedia:Percentage.

Q4: Metric URI VirtualMemoryUtilization (and similar) - "Utilization"
seems to imply percentage (sensible, and borne out by the comments), which
makes me think it's units again.

Q5: Taking Q3 and Q4 together, seems like I have [disk]space, virt mem,
real mem, cpu as "consumable resources"; for each of those I need metrics
for "amount in use".  I see the "amount in use" pattern repeated for heap,
buffer pool.  Which makes me wonder if these should look something like
(which extends ems:Measure in new ways)

   ems:observes        #obs1,
   #obs1 a ems:Measure,
      ems:metric                pm:AmountUsed,          (or free)
      ems:numericValue        80,
      ems:unitOfMeasure        dbpedia:Percentage,
      pm:metricQualifier        pm:Cpu                             (or
heap, virt mem, etc)

Q6: NumFailedSqlStmts ... similar pattern(?)  Num = units,
Failed=qualifier, SqlStmt=metric

Q7: TableReorgNeeded - sounds like a boolean, but it's in the metrics
list.  Was the thinking that we'd fit booleans into ems:NumericValue by
"casting" them to 0/1?

Q8: PercentageTimeThreadPoolMaxed vs PercentageTimeJCAThreadPoolMaxed ...
we need to spell out JCA, and understand the relationship between these
two so I can sufficiently distinguish them in the desc.  As currently
written, I'd expect JCA apps to be a subset of all apps.  Ditto "database
apps".

Q9: VMCPUPercentReady - how is this related to CPUUtilization?  I'm
familiar with many different CPU utilizations from my performance days in
a previous life.  I'm wondering if the "VM" part however requires a
distinct metric, or is it implicit from the context in which the property
occurs?  E.g. should a client "know" that the CPU is VM CPU not "normal
CPU" (whatever that is ;-) ) based on the rdf:type(s) of the resource that
the PerformanceMonitoringRecord describes?

Q10: OverCommmittedDiskUtilization - is this anything other than SpaceUsed
(disk,%) - 100 ?  I'm trying to tease out what's different about this
(e.g. is there an "allocated/reserved" notion that is distinct from
"used"), and also whether it applies naturally to resources other than
disk.

If we do end up following some path like metricQualifier, I would
recommend making it multivalued.  Then I could define qualifiers like
real, virtual, memory and combine them as needed rather than having to
enumerate each combination as a separate URI.  I'd have to go back to
ems:metric's definition to see if that is in fact any different.... maybe
we just make ems:metric itself multivalued, under the "less is more"
principle.