[Oslc-pm] questions and comments on the Performance Monitoring spec and example RDF/XML - 6

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 24 17:08:35 EDT 2012

6: pm:VMToolsStatus - again, provider-specific and hence a better fit for
a private ns?

> > VMware agent has a health metric  VMToolsStatus for which there is
> > not an enumerated set of values.    Would it be represented as shown
> > below in a ComputerSystem performance monitoring record for a
> virtual machine?
>
> Julie responded: Yes, or we could make it a resource and define URIs
> the way we did for pm:availabilityStatus.Same comment on capitilization
here.

6: pm:VMToolsStatus - interesting question.  Since PerfMon does not
"control" the values, hard to create an enum of them that ages well.  As a
string, not really useful from a programmatic consumption standpoint ...
even if its only purpose is for display to humans, in that case seems like
you'd want translation.  But if the server is just a conduit for opaque
values from some other implementation, unless the (ITM) server simply
proxies the request to a RESTful back end (VMTools?) with all the same
locale etc info, it (ITM) would not be able to xlate the string values.
I'd be hesitant to put this in PerfMon ns.  Seems like it belongs in
VMTool's ns (if ITM is just parroting the value), but they are not at the
table.  Just makes me more hesitant to put it in PerfMon ns.