[Oslc-pm] questions and comments on the Performance Monitoring spec and example RDF/XML - 8

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 24 16:56:46 EDT 2012

Getting some offline discussion onto the mailing list.

> 8)  In the table for  Resource: crtv:StorageVolume ,  the
> Representation column contains "Either".  Shouldn't this be
> "Reference" instead?

Julie responded: Seems like it should be. Would like John's feedback here.

John adds:
8: crtv:StorageVolume - "Either" is what I'd say.

Detail: Absent some requirement to write PerfMonRecs (create or update, in
this case update of crtv:StorageVolume values specifically), it does not
matter.... your implementation produces what it produces (references only,
IIRC), clients have to be prepared to parse either (not an issue for any
RDF parser anyway).  Also true: the nuts & bolts of OSLC spec
interpretation mean that the wiki table content is a should not a must; a
spec table saying Either still admits a server impln that only produces
references (that server may not work with all clients, but that's a
distinct question and it only becomes an issue when clients write
instances that the client crafted on their own).
My guiding principle here is to be minimally restrictive in the spec.  Any
spec restrictions should have compelling scenarios behind them, otherwise
we're just excluding implementations because they happen to not be like
"that one over there".  I'd want someone to be able to pick it up later
and just go implement if they want.