[Oslc-pm] should ems:observes be required for PerformanceMonitoringRecords

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 24 17:48:03 EDT 2012

> ... and other
> resources with ems:observes predicates and no rdf:type
> PerformanceMonitoringRecord.

That is absolutely encouraged.  As originally promulgated, the EMS spec
had (+continues to have) resource definitions where ems:observes was used
in exactly this way.  If EMS had added the equivalent constraint to what
the excerpt above might suggest is needed, Perf Mon would have been UNable
to re-use the ems vocabulary.

This is RDF where to the best of our ability we try to give a concept one
identifier in a vocabulary (ems:observes means the object contains some
kind of observed information) and *re-use* that same vocabulary in as many
contexts as it is relevant to.  Each specification is one such context,
and may layer on additional constraints (like occurrences) appropriate to
the scenarios that comprise the context.  Hence you "always" have at least
one spec for a vocabulary term (that is our minimalist practice, not a
Requirement From Above).  It does not imply that vocabulary ==
specification/domain, however.

If you want a system where wide, serendipitous, uncoordinated vocabulary
re-use is discouraged, we have 20 years of OO systems waiting to be used
and lots of people happy to use them.  It's just a different world-view,
each appropriate to some set of problems and constraints.  Don't get
tangled up in that thinking in RDF, those constraints are not there by
default and they generally inhibit re-use.