[Oslc-pm] strawman + questions for resource definitions

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 13 07:48:30 EDT 2012

I have some ideas floating around in my head that I'm going to take a pass
at laying out below.
1: Monitoring SP = collection of monitoring records, one per monitored
resource (perhaps, ...per agent on the resource), for the "latest
observation" view
2: Monitoring SP = collection of metric definitions per monitored resource
(...same perhaps...), for the "metadata/admin view".  If the metric's
property is updatable, then it's also a control interface.
3: Monitoring SP = ala #1, but with an additional time dimension if it
offers more than just "latest observation", e.g. repositories that expose
a time series of historical observations.
4: monitoring record = set of properties with values, may include a link
to a resource shape, each Property definition in the shape may include a
link to the metric definition for it.  Perhaps the metric definition *is*
a/the resource shape, potentially with extensions.
5: metric definition = set of properties whose values are metadata about a
particular monitoring record or about how data in the monitoring records
is gathered
Q1: For the "latest observation" case, which seems like it would be the
most common one, I know from our meetings that implementations may collect
various properties at different times.  Those times are usually "pretty
close" together however, so I'm not sure if we need to expose a separate
timestamp for each monitored value, or if there is consensus that one
timestamp for the entire record is "close enough" given that we're living
in a distributed HTTP system anyway.
Q2: [1] shows UI preview content for various situations.  Are these values
needed in RDF as well as HTML?  I.e. is this content intended to appear in
response to GET against a performance record resource where the response
content type != HTML, so we need properties and/or shapes for them?
Q3: Does the WG object to the perf record to as a collection of in-line
resource instances, like this
<record-instance-URL>
        pm:cpuUtilization       80
        pm:connections          68