[Oslc-pm] Some additional metric subclasses to consider for 2.0 perf mon vocabulary

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 7 13:11:53 EST 2012

My only guidance (not objection) would be to be careful about

(1) Keep them as widely applicable (fewest restrictions on the semantics)
as possible, so they are more easily re-used.

ConnectionEntriesUsed (the strawman) is a better than FCM
ConnectionEntriesUsed would have been.  I will note that in this specific
case, the description and the term name are not obviously equivalent.  If
the "FCM" is a critical required part of the semantics, rather than an
exemplary use, you probably care about that.  If we allow multiple types
on an ems:Measure (I think we do), the FCM could be added as a second type
in an instance so the base term is more widely re-usable.

(2) Avoiding anything that tightly couples a metric to exactly one or even
to very few implementation(s) unless they are very widely deployed.

Database Managed Space (DMS) and "locklist" *might* be proprietary or
single-implementation terms, so I'd want to be clear that those
particulars are exemplary rather than limiting.  If the next DBMS that
wanders in also has a DMS-equivalent concept with a different name, I'd
want the community to re-use this same PerfMon vocabulary term by default.

"Oslc-Pm" <oslc-pm-bounces at open-services.net> wrote on 12/03/2012 10:48:09
AM: