[Oslc-pm] Some additional metric subclasses to consider for 2.0 perf mon vocabulary

Julianne Bielski bielsk at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 3 10:48:09 EST 2012

All,

There's a number of metrics related to database and database server
performance health that I believe should be added to the 2.0 vocabulary in
support
of our scenarios.

Please consider these, and by EOW, if there are no objections, I will add
them as subclasses:

1. http://open-services.net/ns/perfmon/#BufferPoolHitRatio

This attribute can determine whether buffer pool assignment is efficient.
If the pool hit ratio is low, increasing the number of buffer pool pages
might improve performance.

2. http://open-services.net/ns/perfmon/#ConnectionEntriesUsed

The percentage of FCM connection entries used during processing within the
partitioned database server. If the percentage of FCM connection entries
used is high compared to normal operating levels, you can increase the
number of FCM connections; if the percentage is low compared to normal
operating levels, you can decrease the value.

I have an outstanding question to the database SME asking how "high" or
"low" affects performance of the database server.

3. http://open-services.net/ns/perfmon/#TableSpaceUsed

The percentage of space used in the Database Managed Space (DMS)
tablespace. Use the returned value to determine if the
tablespace needs more space.

4. http://open-services.net/ns/perfmon/#LockListUsed

The percentage of space used in the locklist of this database. Use the
returned value to determine how much of the locklist space is free for new
locks to be requested.

5. http://open-services.net/ns/perfmon/#SortOverflows

Percentage of application sorts that overflowed during the monitoring
interval. An overflow occurs when a sort has run out of space in the sort
heap and requires disk space for temporary storage. If this percentage is
high, you might want to adjust the database configuration by increasing the
value of the SORTHEAP configuration parameter.

I have an outstanding question to the database SME asking how "high" or
"low" percentage of overflows affects performance of the database server.

-- Regards,

Julianne Bielski, STSM
ITM Core Chief Architect
Tivoli, IBM Software Group
tel: (919) 224-1170      (T/L) 687-1170
e-mail: bielsk at us.ibm.com

"All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without
benefit of experience." — Henry Miller