[Oslc-pm] monitoring agent availability status

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 31 07:56:31 EDT 2012

http://open-services.net/ns/auto#AutomationRequest
http://open-services.net/ns/auto#AutomationResult
> " />
>
> But on the specification page it says:

You have found a bug in the Automation vocabulary document; I will queue
it up to that mailing list.  Most people have concentrated on the spec, so
this is unsurprising yet inconvenient for you/me.
IMO neither range should be there.  I cannot be sure which URL you were
looking at since you didn't specify it, but since rdfs:range is not in the
HTML vocabulary document that I get [2] when dereferencing the state URI
(I just clicked on its value [3] in your email and adjusted the fragment
to be state [4], and the server redirects) I assume you found the RDFS
itself [5] from which the HTML is generated via XSLT.  The HTML contains
no equivalent to the rdfs:range information, you will note.  That is
intentional IMO.
If you stick with the generated HTML description you should see the
intent, and that should be consistent with the spec.  The portion "It is
expected that this will be a resource reference to a definition of a valid
automation request state on the service provider." is a really tortured
way of saying that we expect whatever URL is used to be a normal
vocabulary term (an rdfs:Class , in particular) like the set defined in
the spec.... meaning that (regardless of the URL) you can successfully
HTTP GET some representation of it.... and that the URL can be any state
the implementation considers valid.  I've also queued that tangled
sentence for editorial attention by Automation.

rdfs:Range is used in a way other than what you appear to think.  Details
at [1]
Most people read "RDF Schema" and assume it works like "every other"
schema language they've encountered, e.g. like XML Schema, insofar as the
schema language specifies machine-readable constraints on "valid"
instances, and (usually) a way to assess the validity of an instance,
where "validity" is defined in terms of adherence to a set of constraints.
 This (mis-)interpretation is reinforced by the resource definition table
column label (Range) which also has a different usage (to set
-expectations- for implementations, not for inferencing).
More succinctly,
1: validity = f( instance , constraints)
2: schema language = syntax for specifying constraints

This is NOT how RDFS works.  RDFS is used for inferencing.  The schema
syntax (rdfs:range and friends) is used to specify rules by which new
triples may be inferred from existing triples.  I.e.:
1: inferrable triples = f( input triples , RDFS triples )
or 2: g' = f( g , RDFS triples )  where g is an RDF graph and g' is the
resulting graph containing the union of g and the newly inferred triples.
In particular, RDFS defines no notion of validity.  OWL can be used, with
work, for specifying constraints, but that is not its main job either.
IIRC OWL has a notion of "consistent with" that loosely corresponds to our
traditional notion of validity.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-schema-20040210/#ch_range
[2] http://open-services.net/ns/auto/auto.html#state
[3] http://open-services.net/ns/auto#new