[Oslc-pm] Skeleton specification draft

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 30 17:36:38 EDT 2012

I stood up a skeleton for PM 1.0 based on a copy & tweak of Automation
(since they were the next youngest wg, they represent state of the
evolving art so as good a copy source as any) and linked it off of the wg
home page [1].  It is NOT ready for anyone else to read or comment on yet,
but just doing a skeleton forced some questions into the open, so trying
to work those on the email list to the degree we can (below).  I also
created a handful of other skeleton pages (Examples, etc) and linked those
in.

1: Version number - should we use 1.0 or 2.0.  The recommendation from
Core is that specs should be numbered with the first (major) version
component being equal to the first (major) version component of the Core
spec on which they are based, which would be 2.0; we had that discussion
with Automation back in December/January.  I left all existing references
on the wiki at 1.0, until the wg decides which to use.
As a concrete proposal, I'll propose that we go with Core's
recommendation.  There is a bit of explanatory text in the skeleton to
address the "2.0 is logically 1.0" confusion that anyone coming later
might have, i.e. (in red at the very top) "NOTE: This version of the
specification has version 2.0 to indicate that it is an OSLC Core 2.0
compliant specification. This specification is the initial version of an
OSLC Performance Monitoring specification".  There is also a "previous
version" link whose value is N/A.

2: Relationship labels - many existing specs refer to [2], which in turn
refers to a "technique" in RDF called (hold your nose, newcomers)
"reification" [3,4].  Reification appears to be on the outs in the W3C RDF
working group.  We may want to discourage the practices for which Core 2.0
recommends reification, especially if it turns out that our scenarios do
not require it.
I propose we say that representations SHOULD NOT use reification.  [5]
shows the usual text in existing specs based on Core 2.0 (from
Automation).

3: We'll need some concrete examples of performance monitoring metrics
that our scenarios need to capture before I can do anything about resource
definition(s).

4: The CRTV proposal is out there, but I don't think it has been discussed
within the working group.  We should add that to a future agenda, probably
after all the scenarios we have on the radar have been discussed.  My
guess is that an instance example would be useful for such a discussion,
maybe we can get a volunteer to create one on the (newly skeletized)
Examples page.

5: Core has discussed in the past changing how resource definitions could
be coupled more loosely to domain specs, to enable changes (especially,
additions) to vocabularies to occur without requiring the associated
domain specification to go through a full new-version cycle.  My sense is
that they are getting ready to really attempt it soon, perhaps as part of
the Core 3.0 work (fair disclosure: I'm involved and nudging them in this
direction, so OSLC vocabularies work more like other Linked Data
vocabularies on the Web... Dublin Core et al.).  We might consider whether
we should get ahead of that movement; I think we could potentially provide
feedback on what works/does not if we were to try the separation.  Given
the scenarios to date and timeline we've discussed, I think we are on the
right side of the "simple enough that we could try something and re-do it
if we don't like the result" tipping point.  Other domains with more
resources would have a harder time of that.

I'll just reinforce in closing that there is little if any value in
reading the skeleton spec as it stands.  It's still got broken links, some
content referring to Automation, a not-useful single resource definition,
etc.  I'll be sanding those off over time while some of the preceding
questions are resolved in the working group.  E.g. the version answer will
cause a non-trivial set of changes once links are considered.

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/PerformanceMonitoringHome
[2] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreSpecAppendixLinks
[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_%28knowledge_representation%29
very short, but more accessible than [4] IMO
[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_%28computer_science%29#Reification_on_Semantic_Web
[5]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/AutoSpecificationV2?sortcol=table;up=#Labels_for_Relationships