[oslc-plm] Additional clarity on messaging and scope for Configuration Management charter and SCM workgroup

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 7 08:21:47 EDT 2012

Dear Core WG,

After meeting with members from SCM, PLM and Core WGs we have identified
some necessary clarity to help with the right messaging and understanding
the role of various WGs:
1. "Configuration Management" scope definition (see link below), which
overlaps with some configuration management concerns with the existing SCM
workgroup.  This new WG will be compromised of the previous SCM WG
members, some additions, and therefore the existing SCM WG will be
inactive until ConfigMgmt WG completes its specifications and there is
enough interest in the community to make the SCM WG active again.
2. "Configuration Management" will address common cross-cutting and look
to have this endorsed by the Core WG as such
3. Domain specific config management will be targeted towards domain WGs,
including any software specific resource needs (which may cause the
creation of a focused domain WG in the future).

Since this follows within the previous agreed upon approach by the Core WG
and had good coverage at the August 6th joint meeting with Core WG
members, we don't see a need to open up for discussion within the Core WG.

If there are any concerns with this approach, please let me know by August
12th.

For additional details, see the Configuration Management proposed charter
at

http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/ConfigurationManagementHome

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net