[oslc-plm] PLM Workgroup Covenant and License Update

Scott Bosworth bosworth at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 17 12:58:45 EST 2011

Fellow workgroup members. It was pointed out by some of our membership that
the scope of the PLM workgroup covenant/license [1] is not explicit and
therefore might be interpreted more broadly than it should be. This is a
valid criticism and one that I have been working with some of the of the
legals minds of workgroup members to address.

Based on this work, I've made an update to the PLM Covenant and License
page that I hope you will find to be an obvious improvement over the
covenant document that you already agree to. The changes serve to (a)
reflect the current interests and scope of the workgroup activities, and
(b) to allow for the workgroup to add to new OSLC specifications to the
covenant/license as it makes sense in the future and with the appropriate
consent of participating members. For example, if/when the PLM workgroup
expands its scope to other domain areas or chooses to author new
specifications itself, then the list might be updated.

The net effect of these changes is to narrow the covenant/license you are
making to others.

We will have a brief discussion on this topic in our workgroup call next
week. If you notice, I have added a sentence in red above each member's
covenant or license statement. In order to confirm your agreement with the
change, most of you (Siemens - Rainer, EADS - Andreas, Northrop Grumman -
Brenda, IBM - Gray) simply need to log in, edit the page, delete the
sentence, and save the page. For GM - Mike, you need to delete the sentence
and add your covenant or license statement. For Roch, it would be preferred
if you identified your company in the covenant statement rather than
yourself, but either way you should also delete the sentence in red in
order to consent to the updated document.

Thank you for your attention to this matter....Scott

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/PlmWorkgroupCovenants

Scott Bosworth | IBM Rational CTO Team | bosworth at us.ibm.com | 919.486.2197
(w) | 919.244.3387(m) | 919.254.5271(f)