[OSLC-Metrics] Scenario vs. estimate exercise

Andrew J Berner ajberner at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 29 07:20:46 EST 2010

I had an action item from last meeting to develop an exercise to clarify my
question about scenario vs. estimate.  Sorry I didn't get it done in time
for Arthur to work on this week...we can keep going by e-mail or at a
future live meeting.

Attached is the exercise about whether scenario and estimate are clearly
distinguished:  I give an English description of an interaction between
Portfolio Management and Estimation tools, and Arthur will try to translate
this into XML scenario/estimate resources.  To focus on this issue, we can
simplify in two ways that will be part of the full resource description,
but not related to the question I'm asking here; that way we won't get lost
in the more complex XML actually needed:

a) Assume we need the estimate at 80% confidence level; we know how to
represent the more precise quantile representation of the metrics rather
than single number, and that’s not the issue here

b) Assume there’s only one estimation tool involved; all the metrics come
from the same tool...the spec allows that the list of metrics is broken up
into sublists, but that's not the issue here (if I'm understanding what
"one scenario has multiple estimates" means in the primer).  We can discuss
this issue separately.  It's VERY possible I'm misinterpreting the primer
here.

In the exercise, I describe a business case for a proposal under
consideration in a portfolio management tool which contains some
information that will be used to build an estimate, and four "answers" that
are prepared by the estimation tool for possible tradeoffs to include back
into the business case so it can go through the approval workflow in the
Portfolio Management tool.  This is typical of the kind of work done
cooperatively by portfolio management tools and estimation tools.

The question is how the results of this estimation work is represented as
scenario/estimate resources we have in the OSLC spec.

(See attached file: Is scenario clearly distinguished from estimate.doc)

Andy Berner
Lead Architect, ISV Technical Enablement and Strategy
IBM Rational Business Development
972 561-6599
ajberner at us.ibm.com

Ready for IBM Rational software partner program -
http://www.ibm.com/isv/rational/readyfor.html