[oslc-core] Status update: OSLC Actions 2.0 & Automation 2.1

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Tue Sep 16 06:28:26 EDT 2014

OSLC Automation 2.1:
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-Specification-Version-2.1/

We haven't had a full review of this spec from someone who wasn't involved
in the updates, which I think we ought to have before we can consider
submitting it finalisation. I can't remember if Nick said he would look at
this one or at Actions, but I'll chase one other person who had said they
wold look at it.

OSLC Actions 2.0:
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Actions-2.0/

This is getting very close to finished, with just a few issues left to
resolve. (about 6: two with uncontested proposals [almost resolved], one
with a proposal still under debate, two waiting for propoals but we might
just drop them, and one tiny wording one.)

A few points that people in Core might possibly be interested in:

1. One of the main new predicates to be added to the Core vocab by this
work (oslc:action, linking to a resource of type oslc:Action) is intended
to be added to Core's list of common properties.

2. If anyone objects to the fact that that predicate is a noun not a verb,
then it might already be too late to change it, but this is probably your
last chance to object. (e.g. it could have been oslc:affords, as it links
from a resource to an affordance on that resource - but we thought that
the word "action" is more recognisable to more people on first sight)

3. We're most likely putting a concept called "future actions" (actions
that are not currently available for execution but may be at another time
and/or on another resource - e.g. on a generated AutomationResult, or on
an instance that matches a particular resource shape) in the Core
namespace, but describing it in the Automation spec in v2.1 (where it
already is), hoping to move it from Automation to Core Actions at v3. (To
get the v2 specs finished ASAP).

4. If anyone's interested in the "future actions" capability for resource
shapes (for those with specific interest/experience in the area of
resource shapes) you can read it here:
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Actions-2.0/#Future-actions

5. If anyone's inetersted in our re-use of
oslc-automation:ParameterInstance, you can read about it here:
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Actions-2.0/#pattern-body-repn and
here:
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Actions-2.0/#Resource_ParameterInstance

(This e-mail has been sent to OSLC Core WG at open-services.net, as that
is the target for v2.x specs, and also to the OASIS OSLC Core TC, as the
Actions 2.0 spec will be contributed there as a basis for v3, which we
expect will be needed so that it can be used in other domain specs in v3.
Please reply on the open-services.net mailing list if possible.)

Martin
OSLC Automation TC & WG Chair