[oslc-core] Some issues with OSLC TRS 2.0 and alignment with recent LDP spec changes

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Sun Mar 30 09:10:06 EDT 2014

Current issues with October 2013 draft [1] compared with W3C LDP March
2014 draft [2] :

1. Base resources is a ldp:Container (should be ldp:DirectContainer)
LDP WG resolved to no longer have a single general purpose ldp:Container
that could exist on its own, instead it is a common base class to the
other 3 classes.
Proposal: change type to be ldp:DirectContainer
Migration considerations: can always multi-type, add in
ldp:DirectContainer and predicate settings along with ldp:Container
Note: I don't think any consumer checks the type

2. Base resources use default membership predicate rdfs:member, LDP
recommends ldp:member
Proposal: change to using ldp:member
Migration considerations: impacts clients, to mitigate, could return both
rdfs:member and ldp:member triples, OR equivalency statement such as
ldp:member owl:sameAs rdfs:member, OR have clients have this inferred.
Note: impact to clients is minimal, near 0, due to need to change a string
and there are not many providers.

I believe these issues should be address directly in the OSLC TRS 2.0
spec, just announcing and making it clear these changes have been made.

[1]:
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/TrackedResourceSet-2.0/revision/3806/
[2]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-ldp-20140311/
Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net