[oslc-core] TRS spec comments & questions

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jun 10 05:04:54 EDT 2014

I just had a read through the TRS spec, and have these (mostly editorial)
comments & questions:

Intro:
  - Is the "finalizing draft" status still correct?
  - Nothing on the core wiki page (by the TRS link) or the TRS spec page
mentions OASIS, so I presume this is still the definitive location for TRS
2.0.

TRS:
  Paragraph 3: "Specifically the Tracked Resource Set representation will
contain a triple {TRS-URL, rdf:type, trs:TrackedResourceSet} including the
triples for the Change Events themselves enumerated in {TRS-URL,
trs:change, ChangeEvent-URI} where the Change Events MUST be present in
the Tracked Resource Set’s representation." - This isn't very clearly
worded. And I think the subject for the trs:change triple is wrong. Should
this be: "Specifically the Tracked Resource Set representation MUST
contain: a triple {TRS-URI, rdf:type, trs:TrackedResourceSet}, a triple
{TRS-URI, trs:changeLog, ChangeLog-URI} (where ChangeLog-URI may be an
inline resource/blank node), the triples pointing to the Change Events
themselves as {ChangeLog-URL, trs:change, ChangeEvent-URI}, and all
triples whose subject is any of the referenced Change Events."?

Base resources:
    - "The Base MAY be broken into multiple pages in which case the Server
will respond with a 30x redirect message, directing the Client to the
first “page resource”. The representation of a page resource will contain
a subset of the Base’s membership triples. In addition, it will contain
another triple, whose subject is the page resource itself (i.e., not the
Base resource), with a reference to the next page:" - shouldn't this just
refer to LDP-paging? Or is it less "at-risk" if we leave these
descriptions in here?

Resources:
  - Was it the intention to set the "rdf:range" of the properties? Which
implies that type on any target (i.e. creates an inference rule), not
restricts the targets to that type. The convention I'm aware of is to say
"any" in the "range" column, and say in the description "the target [is
expected to be|MUST be] of type X" (with the "expect to be..." form the
best one, as it allows for future extension based on types, but requires
clients to check the rdf:types of the resources they receive, unlike the
range assertion - but surely that's good practice anyway...).

  Base:
    - "trs:cutoffEvent": I believe multiple values in the "range" column
asserts an inference rule that all targets of that property have ALL those
types, which is not the intention here.

  ChangeLog:
    - "trs:change": Same as cutoffEvent above.
    - "trs:order": I'd suggest "non-negative" being in the description,
not in the "value-type" column, as it can't be mapped to a resource shape
"value-type" option. (I believe these tables' format is based on the idea
of a resource shape).
    - "trs:order": Representation should be "n/a"

"Appendix B: Resource shapes":
  - Arguably those tables under "Resources" are descriptions of resource
shapes.

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
OASIS Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation technical
committee chair

E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Find me on:  and within IBM on:

IBM United Kingdom Limited