[oslc-core] OSLC Core WG review request: OSLC Actions & OSLC Automation 2.1

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Thu Apr 17 06:18:50 EDT 2014

Both the OSLC Actions 2.0 specification draft and the OSLC Automation
2.1 specification draft have entered convergence. I would like to
request a review of these specifications from the OSLC Core WG. (I will
also notify the new TC at OASIS.)

THE SPECIFICATIONS:

The Actions specification is about advertising on any RDF resource any
actions or operations that can be executed against that resource. For
example, a change management request can advertise available state
transitions, and deployed IT resources can advertise a "teardown" or
"stop" action.

The OSLC Actions primer and specification are here:
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-Primer/#OSLC-Actions

http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Actions-2.0

The Automation specification has been extended for three scenarios:
taking advantage of OSLC Actions to support the "teardown" or "stop"
example mentioned above; execution environments; and using Automation
Requests as templates.

The OSLC Automation 2.1 specification is here, with changes temporarily
marked "This is new for 2.1":
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-Specification-Version-2.1/

In both specifications there may still be a few lines of text in red,
which are notes to reviewers, or final items to clean up.

WHERE TO START:

Reviewing the Actions specification, being a new specification, is a
larger task than the Automation changes. Also, most of the changes in
Automation use the Actions spec. This is why I have listed Actions first
in this request.

The best place to start reviewing the Actions specification is the
primer:
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-Primer/#OSLC-Actions

(This is currently in the Automation primer, as it was developed mostly
by the Automation WG. This can be moved to the Core primer, or its own
primer, if that is more appropriate.)

VOCAB:

The Actions specification adds some terms to the Core vocabulary. I will
attach an updated RDF/XML vocab document (which should be accessible via
the archives), but they are listed in plain text here:
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Actions-2.0#Changes-to-OSLC-Core-vocabulary

SCENARIOS:

Another place you could start is by looking at the scenarios that these
specifications enable.

The 3 scenarios enabled by the Actions specification are here:
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Actions-2.0-Scenarios/

The 3 scenarios enabled by the Automation 2.1 specification are here:
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/Automation-Scenarios-v2.1/

TIME SCALE:

Our expectation has been to leave two weeks for the Core WG review. If
you are interested in looking at these specifications but do not believe
you will be able to do so in that time frame, please let me know.

Thank you,

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation WG joint chair

E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Find me on:  and within IBM on:

IBM United Kingdom Limited