[oslc-core] Fw: Proposed Charter for Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration (OSLC) Core Technical Committee

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 4 07:57:08 EDT 2013

This is the proposal charter for what will become the future of the OSLC
WG as it transitions into OASIS as a Technical Committee (TC).
Instructions are below about providing comments and process.

Regards,
Steve Speicher

Chet Ensign <chet.ensign at oasis-open.org> wrote on 09/03/2013 04:39:30 PM:

> From: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign at oasis-open.org>
> To: tc-announce at lists.oasis-open.org, members at lists.oasis-open.org,
oasis-
> charter-discuss at lists.oasis-open.org
> Cc: linju at ca.ibm.com, david.green at tasktop.com,
> Prasad.Yendluri at softwareag.com, axel.reichwein at koneksys.com,
> ludmila.ohlsson at ericsson.com, Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM at IBMUS, Steve
> Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS, seanpk at ca.ibm.com, jad at kth.se, Dave Ings
> <ings at ca.ibm.com>, carolina.canales at ericsson.com, martint at kth.se, Carol
> Geyer <carol.geyer at oasis-open.org>, Robin Cover <robin at oasis-open.org>
> Date: 09/03/2013 04:39 PM
> Subject: Proposed Charter for Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration
> (OSLC) Core Technical Committee
>
> To OASIS Members:
>
> A draft TC charter has been submitted to establish the OASIS Open
Services
https://www.oasis-open.org/
> policies-guidelines/tc-process#formation) the proposed charter is hereby

> submitted for comment. The comment period shall remain open until 23:59
GMT

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-charter-discuss/
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/
> oasis-charter-discuss/. Employees of organizational members do not
require
> primary representative approval to subscribe to the
oasis-charter-discuss e-mail.

> A telephone conference will be held among the Convener, the OASIS TC
> Administrator, and those proposers who wish to attend within four days
of
> the close of the comment period. The announcement and call-in
information
> will be noted on the OASIS Charter Discuss Group Calendar.
>
> We encourage member comment and ask that you note the name of the
proposed
> TC (OSLC) in the subject line of your email message.
>
> === Charter
>
> OASIS OSLC Core Technical Committee
>
> (1)(a) Name of the TC
>
> OASIS Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration (OSLC) Core Technical
Committee

> (1)(b) Statement of Purpose
>
> With strong demand for better support of integrated system and software
> processes, enterprises want products from different vendors, open source

> projects and their own homegrown components to work together. This level
of
> integration, however, can become quite challenging and unmanageable. In
> order to support integration between a heterogeneous set of products and

> components from various sources, there is a need for an architecture
that is
> minimalist, loosely coupled, and standardized. The OSLC (Open Services
for
> Lifecycle Collaboration) initiative applies World Wide Web and Linked
Data
> principles, such as those defined in the W3C Linked Data Platform (LDP),
> create a cohesive set of specifications that can enable products,
services
> and other distributed network resources to interoperate successfully.
>
> OSLC is motivated by domain scenarios such as change management,
requirement
> management, and quality management, as well as by cross-domain scenarios

> such as Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), Product Lifecycle
Management
> (PLM), and Integrated Service Management (ISM).  Each domain and cross-
> domain area may have its own technical committee or working groups
and/or
> specifications.
>
> The OSLC Core TC is responsible for specifications that expand W3C LDP
> concepts, as needed, to enable integration. It defines the essential
> technical elements of OSLC specifications and offers guidance on common
> concerns for creating, updating, retrieving, and linking to lifecycle
> resources based on W3C LDP [1]. The OSLC Core TC builds on community-
> developed best practices and on the work of other OSLC MS-affiliated
TCs. It
> should develop technical specifications, create best practices documents
and
> formulate design principles that can be leveraged by other OSLC MS-
> affiliated TCs to enable them to focus on domain-specific concerns.
>
> (1)(c) Scope
>
> The OASIS OSLC Core TC defines the essential technical elements of OSLC
> specifications and offers guidance on common concerns for creating,
> updating, retrieving, and linking to lifecycle resources based on W3C
LDP.
> The OASIS OSLC Core TC will accept as input the OSLC MS Steering
Committee
> approved versions of the OSLC Core 3.0 specifications from
open-services.net
> and targeted for development at OASIS as indicated here:
> http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Specification-3.0/#Specifications
>
> Here are the key responsibilities of the OSLC Core TC:
>
> 1) Expand on LDP concepts, as needed, to meet this list of integration
capabilities
>   a) Accessing resources
>   b) Resource creation
>   c) Resource shapes for creation
>   d) Resource shapes for validation
>   e) Filter/query long collections of resources
>   f) Enable web-based delegated user interface dialogs for creating and
> selecting resources
>   g) Leverage web-based user interface components for getting a preview
of a resource
>   h) Protection of resources through recommendations for identification,

> authentication, access control, and delegation of access
>   i) Consistency in error responses
>   j) Common definition and usage of vocabulary terms.
>   k) Recommended resource representations
>
> 2) Add additional technical elements as required to support current and
> future scenarios from OSLC User Groups, OSLC MS-affiliated TCs,
> Subcommittees and the OSLC Member Section Steering Committee
>
> 3) Support technical coordination activities:
>   a) Review and recommend OSLC MS-affiliated domain specifications
>   b) Lead development in, contribute to, review, and endorse best
practices
> and guidance materials for implementers, scenario writers, and
specification
> developers. E.g. vocabularies, test suites, templates, reference
implementations, etc.
>   c) Develop and prioritize cross-cutting scenarios that affect either
OSLC
> Core TC specifications or OSLC MS-affiliated TC domain specifications.
>
> (1)(d) Deliverables
>
> The OASIS OSLC Core TC is expected to produce within 24 months of the
first meeting:

> 1) Scenarios: these will guide the priorities and specification contents
within the TC
>   a) Also a prioritized list of scenarios both developed by the OSLC
Core TC
> and contributed from OSLC User Groups, OSLC MS-affiliated TCs,
Subcommittees
> and the OSLC MS Steering Committee.
>
> 2) Specifications:  Based on the scenarios, specifications will be
developed
> to address cross-domain technical requirements, and set rules by which
OSLC
> MS-affiliated domain TC specifications can leverage, and possibly extend
the
> OSLC Core TC specifications. The specifications will provide terminology
and
> rules for defining resource vocabularies in terms of the property names
and
> value-types, and will recommend various resource representations.
>   a) These deliverables may constitute a collection of specifications,
one
> per capability or a single specification covering a collection of
capabilities
>   b) Additional specifications may be introduced over time to satisfy
> capabilities needed by supported scenarios
>
> 3) Supporting and enabling material, produced in collaboration with
other
> OSLC MS-affiliated TCs as appropriate or on an as-needed basis to
support
> broad adoption including:
>   a) Guidance – informative, non-normative material covering topics such
as
> implementation, resource design, and specification development
>   b) Best Practices – publication of various best (and worst) practices
> aid in the implementation of specifications and interoperable solutions.

> 4) Terminology: a common set of terms intended to be used across OSLC
MS-
> affiliated TCs
>
> 5) Vocabulary: in support of specifications, a set of machine and human
> processable vocabularies, including tools and best practices
>
> 6) Test suites: provide description test suites (perhaps manual) to
> illustrate how implementations of specifications should comply with the
> specification.  OSLC Core TC may identify suitable a third party
automated
> test suite, such as an open source suite from Eclipse Lyo.
>
> The OASIS OSLC Core TC plans to revise and expand its specifications
over
> time, to enable functionality called for by revisions in, and expansions
of,
> the motivational scenarios.  This means that new specifications that
cover
> new capabilities may be introduced as scenarios are refined on to
support
> new capabilities. In all cases the OSLC Core TC will produce
specifications
> that are generally applicable and domain neutral.
>
> Maintenance
>
> Once the TC has completed work on a specific deliverable (whether
“complete”
> means it has become an OASIS Standard, or simply a Committee
Specification
> is left to the TC’s discretion), the TC will provide maintenance for
that
> deliverable. The purpose of maintenance is to provide minor revisions to

> previously adopted deliverables to clarify ambiguities, inconsistencies
and
> obvious errors. Maintenance is not intended to enhance a deliverable or
> extend its functionality. In addition to maintenance, the TC may choose
> create new versions of specifications that support additional
capabilities
> as needed by scenarios.
>
> (1)(e) IPR Mode
>
> This TC will operate under the “RF (Royalty Free) on Limited Terms” IPR
mode
> as defined in the OASIS Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy.
>
> (1)(f) Anticipated audience of the work
>
> The OSLC Core TC will produce specifications that are applicable to two
> types of interest groups:
>
> 1) Developers of OSLC specifications, including those produced by OSLC
MS-

http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/
> wiki/Main_Page
>
> 2) OSLC Steering Committee approved versions of the OSLC Core
specifications
> from open-services.net targeted for OASIS as indicated here:
> http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Specification-3.0/#Specifications
>
> (2)(b) Date, Time and Location of the first meeting
>
> The first meeting will be hold through teleconference on 10:00
AM-12:00PM
> (EST) Oct. 29, 2013 and IBM will sponsor this call.
>
> (2)(c) Ongoing meeting schedule
>
> The TC intends to meet by teleconference every two weeks. Sponsorship
for
> these meetings will be rotated through the OASIS Organizational Members
> represented on the TC.
>
> (2)(d) The you names, electronic mail addresses, and membership
affiliations
> of co-proposers
>
> 1) Arnaud Le Hors, lehors at us.ibm.com, IBM OASIS member
>
> 2) Axel Reichwein, axel.reichwein at koneksys.com, OASIS individual member
>
> 3) David Green, david.green at tasktop.com, Tasktop OASIS member
>
> 4) Jad El-Khoury, jad at kth.se, KTH OASIS member
>
> 5) Ludmila Ohlsson, ludmila.ohlsson at ericsson.com, Ericsson OASIS member
>
> 6) Prasad Yendluri, Prasad.Yendluri at softwareag.com, Software AG OASIS
member

> (2)(e) Statements of Support
>
> I, Carolina Canales <carolina.canales at ericsson.com>, as OASIS primary
> representative of Ericsson organization, confirm our support for this
> charter and endorse our proposers listed above as named co-proposers.
>
> I, Dave Ings, <ings at ca.ibm.com>, as OASIS primary representative of IBM
> organization, confirm our support for this charter and endorse our
proposers
> listed above as named co-proposers.
>
> I, David Green <david.green at tasktop.com>, as OASIS primary
representative of
> Tasktop organization, confirm our support for this charter and endorse
our
> proposers listed above as named co-proposers.
>
> I, Martin Törngren <martint at kth.se>, as OASIS primary representative of
KTH