[oslc-core] Guidance on URI design for RDF/XML representations

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Fri Oct 11 13:39:36 EDT 2013

Ian,

+1

Although in RDF a property is simply a URI, in practice there are benefits
to using URIs that can be represented as QNames since this also makes
other formats (SPARQL, Turtle, JSON) more readable.

However, rather than cite just QName which is an XML concept, it would be
better to also cite the guidance in the related RDF specs. For example,
SPARQL 1.1 defines local names via the grammar rule PN_LOCAL [1]. Also,
the Turtle grammar defines local names via the grammar rule PN_LOCAL [2]
which looks identical to the SPARQL rule.

Therefore we should recommend that RDF terms should be built up from an
HTTP URI prefix concatenated with a local name that satisfies the PN_LOCAL
grammar rule, AND the local name should also satisfy the XML LocalPart
grammar rule. [3]

I'd need to read the rules more carefully to say if in fact LocalPart is a
strict subset of PN_LOCAL. The recommendation should be to use local names
that work in all the important formats.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#rPN_LOCAL
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/#grammar-production-PN_LOCAL
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#NT-LocalPart

Arthur Ryman

DE, Chief Architect, Reporting &
Portfolio and Strategy Management
IBM Software, Rational

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)