[oslc-core] Guidance on URI design for RDF/XML representations

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Fri Oct 11 06:20:42 EDT 2013

What is the guidance on how RDF vocabulary terms should be chosen so as to
ensure they are directly representable in RDF/XML (eg see [1])?

For example, the triple

        <http://example.com/req> <http://example.com/ns/1> "value of
property 1".

can't be directly represented in RDF/XML because one can't write the
property "http://example.com/ns/1" as an XML QName.   (OSLC V2.0
representations don't admit reification of RDF properties in general).

I ask because we're allowing users to define their own vocabulary terms
and we're struggling with how to express these constraints to the
end-user, as well as concerned that other applications and vocabulary
designers don't consider all RDF resource formats.  Since OSLC V2 requires
RDF/XML format, it is unlikely today that OSLC consumers & providers will
encounter RDF that can't be represented in RDF/XML, but this doesn't seem
like a robust position as we move into V3.

My first stab at the definition is "Each and every user-supplied RDF URI
Reference MUST be representable as an XML QName".   (This is a sufficient
condition but it might not be a necessary one.)

best wishes,
    -ian

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2001JulSep/0124.html