[oslc-core] +1 for new property oslc:shortId, OR revised recommendation on use of rdfs:label

Nick Crossley ncrossley at us.ibm.com
Wed May 15 10:45:04 EDT 2013

We have a need for firmer OSLC guidance on this issue.

In the RDF index for Rational tool data today, you can perform a free-text
search for a work item number (task number, etc.).  This is because RTC
puts the work item number in both the oslc:shortTitle property and the
dcterms:identifier property.  Conversely, RQM does not have any public RDF
representation of a test case number - and as a result a user cannot
perform a free-text search for a test case by number, nor write a query for
it.  RQM uses the dcterms:identifier for an internal identifier, not a
human readable one (in fact, it uses the test case URI as its identifier).

It would be useful to have a firm recommendation on a property to be used
for short human-readable identifiers, whether that is oslc:shortId, or a
revised recommendation on the use of rdfs:label as per the text quoted by
Steve in the earlier email:

[[
Yes, rdfs:label is widely used as "just a label". See:

http://www.aifb.kit.edu/images/c/c0/LabelsInTheWebOfData.pdf

Usage has evolved from the definition. I agree that the specification
ought to be updated. One for the RDF WG group I think.
]]

Nick.