[oslc-core] Client introspection of creation factory pre-fill

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 12 14:23:49 EDT 2013

> For me I would think there would be another way to know if a dialog
> supports pre-fill: using HEAD/OPTIONS on the dialog URL and determining
if
> POST is a supported verb.

This meets the feasibility test, will have to see if the exploiters after
this believes it scales sufficiently.  They tend to come at it from the
standpoint of "I have a bunch of automation providers that I could present
to the user for selection, but I want to filter out from the list those
that do not support behaviors I require (like pre-fill) before displaying
that selection list."

Certainly the implementation could deal with this in different ways, like
displaying the entire list (after whatever of pro-active filtering is
possible w/o additional network flows) provisionally and showing a
progress indicator while it asynch'ly does the HEAD/OPTIONS checks.

> For an extension in the future, I could imaging that if there was a
> resource shape associated with a dialog it would not only describe what
is
> allowed for the pre-fill...it could be used to know that pre-fill itself

> is supported (barring access/auth restrictions)

The predicate(s) would have to be clear.  For a creation dialog, the
resource shapes you accept for pre-fill might (probably will) differ from
those you'd produce as a consequence of Create.  Modulo that, seems
reasonable and definitely supports the kind of pro-active filtering
scenario above better.  OTOH, creation factories (programmatic ones)
should have the same bifurcation; the core:CreationFactory resource should
have the same issue, but I cannot tell reliably from reading the
oslc:resourceShape  description whether it's describing inputs or outputs.