[oslc-core] Suggested improvements to new "Link Guidance"

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Sat Jun 1 11:41:01 EDT 2013

These comments are in reference to emerging Link guidance [1]

The first "OSLC Core 3.0 Linked Guidance"
says  "Whenever possible links should be stored in the graph identified by
the subject URI. "

I suggest replacing with something like this:
"The link (statement) should be stored with the tool (document) that
asserts the relationship."

Including, perhaps a footnote or sub-bullets, that there are number of
factors that are involved when a tool determines where to assert the link:
1. if other tool is offline, therefore cannot assert the link
2. if modifying one resource, a new revision will be generated, but other
resource isn't modified.
3. might need a license on the other tool I don't have
4. UX in tool where user is creating link is poor, as it may take a while
to render the link that just got added, due to index latency
5. access control may prevent end user from creating in one of the tools

[1] http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Links/

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net