[oslc-core] Client introspection of creation factory pre-fill

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 12 11:56:52 EDT 2013

For me I would think there would be another way to know if a dialog
supports pre-fill: using HEAD/OPTIONS on the dialog URL and determining if
POST is a supported verb.
For an extension in the future, I could imaging that if there was a
resource shape associated with a dialog it would not only describe what is
allowed for the pre-fill...it could be used to know that pre-fill itself
is supported (barring access/auth restrictions)

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

> From: John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS
> To: oslc-core at open-services.net
> Date: 06/10/2013 03:14 PM
> Subject: [oslc-core] Client introspection of creation factory pre-fill
> Sent by: "Oslc-Core" <oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net>
>
> Core [1] allows delegated creation dialogs to support receipt of an
input
> representation for the purpose of pre-filling fields in the dialog. This

> has recently come up in the context of some Automation WG scenarios
being
> discussed as candidates for 3.0.
>
> What's "interesting" is that [1] does not obviously allow a client to
> determine whether or not a creation dialog supports pre-fill.  When
multiple
> Automation providers are available, certain implementations consider
support
> for pre-fill a hard requirement so they need to be able to detect those
that
> do not support pre-fill; ideally, prior to "settling on" a choice of
> provider and indeed prior to showing a list of candidate providers to a
human user.

> Reading between the lines a bit, my guess at the intent is that a client
can
> detect lack of pre-fill support in the spec as it is today by catching a

> non-201 status code from the attempt to create the pre-filled form. I.e.
it