[oslc-core] Client introspection of creation factory pre-fill

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 10 15:10:56 EDT 2013

Core [1] allows delegated creation dialogs to support receipt of an input
representation for the purpose of pre-filling fields in the dialog.  This
has recently come up in the context of some Automation WG scenarios being
discussed as candidates for 3.0.

What's "interesting" is that [1] does not obviously allow a client to
determine whether or not a creation dialog supports pre-fill.  When
multiple Automation providers are available, certain implementations
consider support for pre-fill a hard requirement so they need to be able
to detect those that do not support pre-fill; ideally, prior to "settling
on" a choice of provider and indeed prior to showing a list of candidate
providers to a human user.

Reading between the lines a bit, my guess at the intent is that a client
can detect lack of pre-fill support in the spec as it is today by catching
a non-201 status code from the attempt to create the pre-filled form. I.e.
it can be done reactively, but not proactively.

If that is the case, I'm wondering if we could get a straw poll Wed's
meeting to see how Core feels about the option of defining a boolean on
dialogs (perhaps only used on creation for now, but in principle it's
possible to apply the concept to selection as well) allowing an
implementation to assert its support for pre-fill.

[1]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreSpecification?sortcol=table;up=#Resource_Creation_in_a_dd