[oslc-core] Proposal for new property oslc:shortId

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 19 14:41:30 EST 2013

> rdfs:label should be used for vocabulary terms.

This came up in a review of Linked Data Basic Profile submission from
Leigh Dodds [1] which says that it might be easier to change the RDFS spec
then fix the usage of rdfs:label in the world:

[[
Yes, rdfs:label is widely used as "just a label". See:

http://www.aifb.kit.edu/images/c/c0/LabelsInTheWebOfData.pdf

Usage has evolved from the definition. I agree that the specification
ought to be updated. One for the RDF WG group I think.
]]

Which shows 185,000,000 occurrences of rdfs:label, contrast with
18,000,000 using dcterms:title.  Understand you are proposing "shortId"
and not just a label.  Just wanted to state this background/learning about
rdfs:label.

[1] - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2012Jul/0026.html

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM wrote on 02/19/2013 10:03:44 AM:

> From: Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM at IBMCA
> To: Martin Nally/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS,
> Cc: oslc-core at open-services.net, Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> Date: 02/19/2013 10:03 AM
> Subject: Re: Proposal for new property oslc:shortId
>
> Martin,
>
> rdfs:label should be used for vocabulary terms.
>
> We discussed the need for a new property several months ago while
looking at
> how people were inconsistently using dcterms:identifier. We came to the
> conclusion that dcterms:identifier should not be used for a short id,
and
> that we should define a property for that specific purpose. I'll forward
the
> thread to you.

> Regards,

> Arthur Ryman
>
> DE, Chief Architect, Reporting &
>
> Portfolio and Strategy Management
>
> [image removed]
>
> IBM Software, Rational
>
> Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)
>
> From: Martin Nally/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> To: Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM at IBMCA,
> Cc: oslc-core at open-services.net, Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> Date: 02/18/2013 04:02 PM
> Subject: Re: Proposal for new property oslc:shortId
>
> What about rdfs:label?
>
> Best regards, Martin
>
> Martin Nally, IBM Fellow
> CTO and VP, IBM Rational
> tel: +1 (714)472-2690

> Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM at IBMCA

> oslc-core at open-services.net,

> Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS, Martin Nally/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS

> 02/14/2013 09:04 AM

> Proposal for new property oslc:shortId
>
> It is common practice for development tools to provide short,
human-friendly
> identifiers for resources. For example, people working together on a
project
> will refer to bugs by a number, e.g. "bug 42". The context of the
identifier
> is implicitly understood by the people involved.
>
> At present, OSLC V2 [1] provides the following guidance for the use of
> dcterms:identifier: "A unique identifier for a resource. Typically
read-only
> and assigned by the service provider when a resource is created. Not
> typically intended for end-user display."
>
> DCMI [2] defines dcterms:identifier as: "An unambiguous reference to the

> resource within a given context."  Goes on to say in a Comment
"Recommended
> best practice is to identify the resource by means of a string
conforming to
> a formal identification system."
>
> A formal identification system would be e.g. ISBN, URI, DOI or UUID.
DMCI

http://dublincore.org/architecturewiki/ResourceIdentifierGuidelines