[oslc-core] Open Core issue cleanup: 6 (old 36) Ambiguity in Resource Shape definition + consequent questions

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 12 14:17:03 EST 2013

OPEN #36 Ambiguity in Resource Shape definition + consequent questions
(JohnArwe 12/30/2011)
Response Discussed at Jan 11 meeting. Proposal sent to list and response
led to unclear statement if resolved.

Having reviewed this issue on the list [1], the email thread it spawned
[2] after the meeting [3], it appears that all our energy was spent on Q1
from the original email [4].  It is possible we agreed on the resolution
for Q>1 on the call, but if we did so it was not recorded in minutes.  So
I will recap the proposed changes here net of all the email thread
improvements, and hopefully we can get consensus on tomorrow's call.

[5] Defines the Resource Shape resource definition.  It includes the
following property definition:

> oslc:describes zero-or-many True Resource Reference n/a Type or types of

resource described by this shape.

Q1: This allows for multiple oslc:describes triples in a resource shape,
but leaves open what the relationship is between these values and the
(possibly multiple) rdf:type values in any given "described" resource
instance (i.e. what condition(s) must be true in order for a given shape
to describe a given resource instance appears to be under-specified).
Breaking it down case by case, and stating what I *think* is the intent
for each (looking for confirmation/disputes of this interpretation) with
??? in cases where [1] really leaves me guessing.  I have implementation
folks already interpreting the ??? cases differently, BTW.

[3] clarified intent: Confirmation that the list of oslc:describes is
intended to be the union of all rdfs:Class[es] the shape supports

Proposed replacement text for oslc:describes description, from Arthur in
[6]:

This shape describes resources that are of any of these types. Formally, a
shape S applies to a resource R if there is a triple R rdf:type T and
there
is a triple S oslc:describes T.

As noted in [8], and confirmed in [3], It says nothing limiting, so
oslc:instanceShape is simply orthogonal.

Q2-Q6, from [7] after the meeting in [3].

Since we agreed during the WG call that it is intentional and valid to
have zero oslc:describes triples in a shape (so the shape describes only
resources that explicitly link to it via a oslc:instanceShape  triple),
here is a new (full replacement) proposal for the consequent editorial
changes to [1]:

Q2: (editorial change)
A Resource Shape describes the properties that are allowed or required
by...
from: one         type               of resource .
to:   one or more types or instances of resources.
I'm not entirely happy with that (seems a bit awkward still),
but I think it's accurate now so I claim 80-20 reached
and give license to the editor(s) to improve it.

Q3: answered - 0 intentional, no change

Q4: Another disagreement between the words and oslc:describes cardinality
providing a machine-readable definition...
from: of an          OSLC resource type              .
to:   of one or more OSLC resource types or instances.
FWIW: I kept "resource type" there, but "resource definition" might be
more in keeping with the rest of the specs' content... did not do a wide
search.

Q5: (editorial nit)
OSLC Creation Factory MAY provide ...
from: a Resource Shape  ... create a resource
to:     Resource Shapes ... create   resources
...and a similar change for Query Capability in the next sentence.

Q6: (editorial nit)
from: A Resource Shape resource can have a title and a        type .
to:   A Resource Shape resource can have a title and a set of types.

[1] http://open-services.net/wiki/core/OSLC-Core-V2-Issues/
[2]
http://open-services.net/pipermail/oslc-core_open-services.net/2012-January/thread.html#1215
[3] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreMeetings20120111