[oslc-core] Proposal for new property oslc:shortId

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Thu Feb 14 09:04:30 EST 2013

It is common practice for development tools to provide short,
human-friendly identifiers for resources. For example, people working
together on a project will refer to bugs by a number, e.g. "bug 42". The
context of the identifier is implicitly understood by the people involved.

At present, OSLC V2 [1] provides the following guidance for the use of
dcterms:identifier: "A unique identifier for a resource. Typically
read-only and assigned by the service provider when a resource is created.
Not typically intended for end-user display."

DCMI [2] defines dcterms:identifier as: "An unambiguous reference to the
resource within a given context."  Goes on to say in a Comment
"Recommended best practice is to identify the resource by means of a
string conforming to a formal identification system."

A formal identification system would be e.g. ISBN, URI, DOI or UUID. DMCI
does not require it to be a URI [3].

dcterms:identifier therefore should not be used as a short, human-friendly
identifier.

Given that dcterms:identifier is not suitable, we need another property. I
propose we define oslc:shortId and that it should have a plain text value.
This value should be unique is some context that is apparent to human
users of a service.

[1] -
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreSpecAppendixA#Dublin_Core_Properties
[2] - http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-identifier
[3] - http://dublincore.org/architecturewiki/ResourceIdentifierGuidelines

Arthur Ryman

DE, Chief Architect, Reporting &
Portfolio and Strategy Management
IBM Software, Rational

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)