[oslc-core] Comment on Vocabulary Description Vocabulary

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Tue Dec 3 06:33:56 EST 2013

Hi Arthur
my posting was to question the idea that oslc:inverseLabel flips the sense
of rdfs:label. rdfs:label has no "direction" to "flip".  Only the roles
can be flipped.

I think we're making a conceptual error in conflating role name with
resource label.

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
IBM Rational

Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com> wrote on 02/12/2013 19:55:08:

> From: Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com>
> To: Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB,
> Cc: oslc-core at open-services.net, "Oslc-Core" <oslc-core-
> bounces at open-services.net>
> Date: 02/12/2013 19:54
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Comment on Vocabulary Description Vocabulary
>
> Ian,
>
> rdfs:label is supposed to be a human-readable string that you could
> substitute for the URI. You might use it to label fields in a form,
> columns in a table, or nodes and arcs in a graph.
>
> The oslc:inverseLabel property was motivated by the use case of a query
> builder that navigated from resource to resource. Hence, we need a label

> that flips the sense of rdfs:label. There was no discussion of roles.
>
> I hope that people are not writing queries that depend on certain values

> of rdfs:label, and that these values are retrieved "at the last minute"
> when presenting data. This would let us improve the labels without
> breaking anyone.
>
> Regards,

> Arthur Ryman
>
> DE, Chief Architect, Reporting &
> Portfolio and Strategy Management
> IBM Software, Rational
>
> Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)
>

> From:   Ian Green1 <ian.green at uk.ibm.com>
> To:     oslc-core at open-services.net,
> Date:   11/29/2013 08:18 AM
> Subject:        [oslc-core] Comment on Vocabulary Description Vocabulary
> Sent by:        "Oslc-Core" <oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net>
>

> The annotation vocabulary [1] defines oslc:inverseLabel and gives some
> examples of its use.
>
> It seems to me that rdfs:label and oslc:inverseLabel ought not to be
> duals.  The RDFS spec has R rdfs:label L to mean "L is a human readable
> label for R".  I don't think our usage of rdfs:label reflects this
> intended usage - rather we're using the rdfs:label of the predicate to
> designate the role the subject plays in relation to the object of the
> link.  The idea of oslc:inverseLabel is to have something to designate
the
> role the object plays in relation to the subject.
>
> The example on the wiki is to do with query building.  The suggestion is

> the user would see "validates" in the UI from the perspective of the
> testcase, and they would see "validated by" from the perspective of the
> requirement.  But in neither of these cases is the user examining the
name
> of the resource whose URI is oslc_rm:validatedBy.  That resource has the

> label "validatedBy".  The query builder use case is about labelling the
> role of the testcase in relation to the requirement (or vice versa).
This
> is conceptually different from the human-readable name of the predicate.

> Was this distinction discussed when the draft was being drawn up
> (apologies if so)?  Does this distinction matter?
>
> I looked through the RM 2.0 vocabulary and it is the case that all of
the
> rdfs:labels "make sense" as a role name;  I looked at DC and most of
those
> also follow that pattern, but not all do.  For example, dcterms:relation

> has the label "Relation", with the definition   "A related resource".
I'd