[oslc-core] Comment on Vocabulary Description Vocabulary

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Dec 2 14:55:08 EST 2013

Ian,

rdfs:label is supposed to be a human-readable string that you could
substitute for the URI. You might use it to label fields in a form,
columns in a table, or nodes and arcs in a graph.

The oslc:inverseLabel property was motivated by the use case of a query
builder that navigated from resource to resource. Hence, we need a label
that flips the sense of rdfs:label. There was no discussion of roles.

I hope that people are not writing queries that depend on certain values
of rdfs:label, and that these values are retrieved "at the last minute"
when presenting data. This would let us improve the labels without
breaking anyone.

Arthur Ryman

DE, Chief Architect, Reporting &
Portfolio and Strategy Management
IBM Software, Rational

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)