[oslc-core] UI previews - how does a client select between small and large when both are offered

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 13 15:15:43 EDT 2013

Some recent implementation feedback: not all UI previews are created
equal.  In several cases, we've seen that there is a substantial
difference in cost to render the small vs the large previews.  I.e., the
small ones are pretty simple and fast to compute the content of, but the
large ones are more heavyweight (database/analytics can get involved).
Right now, clients are left to fend for themselves here.  It would seem
reasonable to me to allow a provider that supplies both small and large
previews to provide a hint as to how costly (in relative terms) one is vs
the other.  The client (and potentially the user) still has to decide what
makes sense in its own usage context, so I don't think it's anything more
than a hint.
Within a given pixel budget, it might for example be reasonable to choose
the large (assuming it fits) if it's roughly equivalent in terms of
back-end cost to obtain/render, and "start small" if the large is more
expensive (for some client-specific value of 'more').

Is there any stomach for this in Core, or is it viewed as too complex?