[oslc-core] Should we transition new specs to use dateTimeStamp instead of dateTime

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Mon Sep 24 15:33:59 EDT 2012

John,

The breakage can occur in SPARQL since literal datatypes include a type
URI, e.g. "2012-09-24T15:07:42-05:00"^^xsd:dateTime is not the same
literal as "2012-09-24T15:07:42-05:00"^^xsd:dateTimeStamp. Therefore a
query that compared date values to literal values might fail if the RDF
representation changed to use xsd:dateTimeStamp.

The SPARQL spec has built-in support for xsd:dateTime in terms of syntax,
comparisons, and type casts. It does not mention xsd:dateTimeStamp
anywhere. I don't know if SPARQL would handle xsd:dateTimeStamp
reasonably.

Arthur Ryman

DE, Chief Architect, Reporting &
Portfolio Strategy and Management
IBM Software, Rational

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)