[oslc-core] Issue-43 drafts

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed May 30 12:58:18 EDT 2012

John,
Thanks for doing this, much easier for me to parse out the issues and
proposed resolutions.

43-1: +1
43-3: +1
43-4: +1
43-5: -1 (see below)

Point 1:
Proposed changed for "Occurs":
  "The *–many values SHOULD NOT be interpreted as a requirement that
providers or clients must will be able to accept an unrestricted quantity.
 Providers and clients MAY impose implementation-specific limits on what
they will accept."

Not to open another issue but I wonder if it would be best to include a
separate description for each valid value of Occurs.

Point 2:
For end of page 2, paragraph says:
"Note: For enumeration URI values above, e.g. XSD Boolean (
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#boolean, reference: XSD Datatypes), the
cited reference defines any relevant semantics. Those URIs lacking an
explicit citation are self- defining, i.e. retrieving the enumeration URI
itself results in a vocabulary document being returned."

What does this have to do with the stated issue in the document about
Occurs?

43-7: +1
43-8+9: -1 (see below)

I find this wording a bit hard to know what I should do, especially if
today is really yesterday.
"...suggesting which classes implementations should expect to find given
what is known today"
I'd propose:
"...suggesting which classes implementations should expect"

As I commented in the attachment on the statement:
"Providers and clients are strongly RECOMMENDED to support all “expected”
classes listed in a property’s description. "
This statement may make sense for providers but I'm not sure this makes
sense for clients.  I'd propose this alternate wording:
"Providers and clients are strongly RECOMMENDED to support all “expected”
classes listed in a property’s description and clients SHOULD be flexible
enough to handle unexpected classes. "

> From: John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS
> To: oslc-core at open-services.net,
> Date: 05/29/2012 06:10 PM
> Subject: [oslc-core] Issue-43 drafts
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> Issue 43 [1,2] has proven interesting, as last week's salvo of
discussion-
> generators may have telegraphed.
> Although I was initially reluctant to split this up into pieces, it
became
> obvious upon first preview to another human that it's the right thing to
do.

> Some drafts for sub-issues that I believe to be likely small and non-
> controversial (so we could potentially shoot through them on tomorrow's
call).

> Some drafts for sub-issues that are slightly larger in scope,
potentially
> more controversial (agenda fodder, time permitting):
>

> These represent over half of the known issues I've found in the course
of
> drafting -43, so would not be bad to get them under our collective belt,

> time permitting.
>

> [1] http://open-services.net/pipermail/oslc-core_open-services.net/2012-
> April/001288.html
> [2] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreV2Issues
> Best Regards, John
>
> Voice US 845-435-9470  BluePages
> Tivoli OSLC Lead - Show me the Scenario [attachment "20120530 Draft for
Core