[oslc-core] Core Issue 43 : "read only and friends" - Range of any/oslc:Any

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Wed May 23 13:18:01 EDT 2012

Per my action from last week, I've started to draft clarifying changes for
the subject issue [1].  In comparing the text in Core (defining resources)
[2] and Core Appendix A (resource shapes) [3] I've run into some new cases
that we have not discussed in [4] or [5] or IIRC the calls, so the
original intent is unclear.  I'd like to get some feedback on that, with
the hope of consensus emerging that I can work into the draft before
posting it.  To make the threading help as much as possible, I'll be good
and keep it to one issue per thread.

This thread: Core says use “any” for unrestricted Range, but Resource
Shape says oslc:Any (sic, capital A).

[2] says Range: ...  This can be specified as any or as a list of one or
more resource classes specified by Prefixed Name.

[3] says oslc:range ... Reference... The default range is
http://open-services.net/ns/core#Any.

[6] says Any is an RDF description.  Any value type is allowed.

Since I cannot find the normative definition of rdf:Description (after a
half hour of looking at RDF specs and the ns vocabulary, and asking 2
others if they could find/knew where it was, I kid you not), I can't
actually be sure if oslc:Any is equivalent to an unrestricted link which I
think is the intent of "any" in [2].  Aligning the two syntaxes is
trivial, it's making sure that the semantics are aligned that's proving a
challenge here.  I suspect the intent was to allow a completely
unrestricted link, versus say a link to any RDF resource (if that was the
goal, would have used rdf:Resource instead of defining oslc:Any).

[7] *uses* rdf:Description (as do many other specs), but does not *define*
it.  [8] casts it as belonging to "Syntax names - not concepts", and
asserts Description as being within the RDF ns.  [8] also asserts that
defines the entire contents of the ns, which disagrees with [7] (examples:
parseType in 8 but not 7; PlainLiteral in 7 but not 8).

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreV2Issues
[2]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreSpecification?sortcol=table;up=#OSLC_Defined_Resources
[3]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OSLCCoreSpecAppendixA?sortcol=table;up=#oslc_ResourceShape_Resource
[4]
http://open-services.net/pipermail/oslc-core_open-services.net/2012-April/001288.html
[5]
http://open-services.net/pipermail/oslc-core_open-services.net/2012-May/001314.html
[6] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreVocabulary#Any
[7] http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#
[8]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-syntax-grammar-20040210/#section-Namespace
 (also looked at latest, == this version, and errata)