[oslc-core] Core Issue 43 : "read only and friends" - number of value types

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Wed May 23 13:17:47 EDT 2012

Per my action from last week, I've started to draft clarifying changes for
the subject issue [1].  In comparing the text in Core (defining resources)
[2] and Core Appendix A (resource shapes) [3] I've run into some new cases
that we have not discussed in [4] or [5] or IIRC the calls, so the
original intent is unclear.  I'd like to get some feedback on that, with
the hope of consensus emerging that I can work into the draft before
posting it.  To make the threading help as much as possible, I'll be good
and keep it to one issue per thread.

This thread: Core resource definitions allow >1 value type, but resource
shapes permit only 1.

The answer here will also influence Steve's work on [6].

[2] says "Value-types: A property MAY allow multiple value-types and a
value MUST satisfy one of them. Each value-type MUST be a URI that
corresponds to one of the following: ..."

[3] says oslc:valueType         exactly-one

[3] also says "OSLC implementations that provide Resource Shapes
representing resources defined by OSLC specifications SHOULD provide the
very same information provided in the specifications without changing or
removing any of the Properties specified. Resource Shapes MAY include new
implementation specific properties ..."

Do we have any existing specs that explicitly list >1 value type in the
resource definition tables?  While that answer need not determine how this
issue is resolved, it would be useful information when evaluating options.
 Steve appeared to assume in [6] that only one value-type was permitted,
which matches all my experiences and conversations but that is hardly
exhaustive.

Based on the "exactly-one" occurs constraint, if a spec allows >1, then I
see how an implementation would actually implement that - the query
capability and creation factory -  each allow 0:* shapes.  It would have
to expose one shape instance per value type.  If multiple properties in a
single resource follow this pattern, I need to expose a shape for each
permutation (yikes).

Assuming that allowing >1 value type in a resource definition is required
(currently in use, or something we're dead convinced we need for the
future), the question becomes what constraints does that resource
definition impose on implementations.
For concreteness, assume the value type list = { String, Resource }.
Does that normatively require my implementation (provider and/or client)
to support
... both String values AND Resource values?
... AT LEAST ONE of String values OR (boolean OR) Resource values?

[1] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreV2Issues
[2]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreSpecification?sortcol=table;up=#OSLC_Defined_Resources
[3]