[oslc-core] Add oslc:modifiedBy to Core Vocabulary

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 21 17:39:47 EDT 2012

Arthur,

> From: Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com>
> To: oslc-core at open-services.net,
> Date: 03/14/2012 04:40 PM
> Subject: [oslc-core] Add oslc:modifiedBy to Core Vocabulary
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> dcterms: defines dcterms:created and dcterms:creator. It also defined
> dcterms:modified, but NOT dcterms:modifiedBy. This has led to some
> implementations using dcterms:contributor and some defined their own
> modifiedBy term.
>
> The OSLC Core spec specifies that dcterms:modified as follows:
>
> Timestamp last latest resource modification
>
> We should therefore define oslc:modifiedBy in the OSLC Core vocabulary,
> pair up with dcterms:modified.
No objections from me.  We also talked at today's telecon and no
objections with this, but had some discussion on the following...

> dcterms:contributor should be used as a multi-valued propoerty to
indicate
> the people who contributed to the resource, not just the person who last

> modified it.

What does this really mean "who contributed"?  If the work item is a
resource in which 23 different people collaborated on this work item,
would you expect this to include 23 entries for dcterms:contributed?  This
seems a bit expensive to compute and not a typical scenario I would think.
 Is there any way we can provide a bit more clarity on this through some
scenarios it supports?  It would also be good to know how it impacts other
specs.  Taking a quick look at CM [1], it describes the usage of
dcterms:contributor as:
  "The person(s) who are responsible for the work needed to complete the
change request (reference: Dublin Core). It is likely that the target
resource will be a foaf:Person but that is not necessarily the case."

We agreed today to hold off and discuss at next telecon (April 4th) and
via email.

[1] -
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecificationV2#CM_Resource_Definitions