[oslc-core] Rethinking link labels without reified statements

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 27 15:54:12 EDT 2012

I've been keeping an eye on the RDF WG and meet somewhat regularly with a
rep in the WG on the activity.  I will work with them and the RDF WG on
our scenario with "link labels".  I don't see a way that the RDF WG could
remove blank nodes and rdf:* terms which is all that we depend on.  How we
use them together may require some guidance with an OSLC spec, which we
have already within our Appendix C on Link Guidance.

As we discussed on the WG call today (June 27), it is pretty safe to
consider this not an issue and continue down the path we are going.

> From: John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS
> To: oslc-core at open-services.net,
> Date: 06/27/2012 01:41 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Rethinking link labels without reified
statements
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> Who is responsible for working with the W3C RDF WG to produce an
RDF.next
> with some in-scope way to accomplish the goal?
>
> Put another way, if that WG removes reification from the next version of

> RDF, and no alternative in .next works, it sounds like our choices are
> (1) remove link labels and other cases currently using reification from
> future specifications/iterations of existing specs (presumably becomes
> implementation extension),
> (2) take a risk in every implementation to continue using reification as
today, or
> (3) invent-new within OSLC
> ...and potentially in parallel with any of those 3, engage with the W3C
RDF