[oslc-core] Proposal for Issue-25: Encoding of UI preview label

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 27 15:10:05 EDT 2012

Comments added below and new draft attached

> From: John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS
> To: oslc-core at open-services.net,
> Date: 06/27/2012 02:07 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Proposal for Issue-25: Encoding of UI preview
label
> Sent by: oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>
> The revised text is cut off on the right (description) in the PDF.

Hopefully the new attached draft fixes this.

> From what I can see in the draft:
> dcterms:title as string instead of XML literal seems consistent with its

> Dublin Core definition [1] which says range=rdf:Literal
Yes

> Provider’s should not be possessive (lose the apostrophe).

Fixed

> Not clear why we're saying that it MUST be HTML-escaped ... that would
imply
> that the string is in fact always (X)HTML.  Certainly true that its
value
> would have to be XML-escaped as part of serializing it into a
well-formed
> XML document (I'm not sure of the relationship between HTML-escaping and

> XML-escaping to the required level of precision, is one a proper subset
of
> the other?).
I believe it is a requirement.  If we are expecting that web browsers may
(after proxying the request and sanity checking for potential security
issues) just place the string content of the <dcterms:title> within an
html element, maybe <span>, for easy rendering.  By doings this, it will
keep things consistent (we did go through a review with a number of
implementations in what they are doing).

> oslc:shortTitle as string instead of XML literal seems consistent with
> dcterms:title, which seems to be important given its description [2].
>

> Both value type changes might be seen as incompatible by some observers.
 Do
> we have reason to think that this change is either compatible upon
closer
> inspection, or it's worth the pain (potential breakage) in existing
> implementations?  Just asking in the hopes that analysis has been
done... I
> know from personal experience that sometimes the obvious turns out to be

> false upon deeper thinking.

Reminder, we are talking about XML elements here and NOT RDF vocabulary
terms.  So what we define within this UI Preview spec and oslc:Compat is
limited to the usage of those XML elements as child elements of
oslc:Compact.  If there are changes to the core/common vocabulary that
will be a separate issue to consider.  Just want to be clear.

> [1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-title
> [2] http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreVocabulary#shortTitle

> Best Regards, John
>
> Voice US 845-435-9470  BluePages
> Tivoli OSLC Lead - Show me the Scenario
>

> From:        Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
> To:        oslc-core at open-services.net
> Date:        06/27/2012 09:47 AM
> Subject:        [oslc-core] Proposal for Issue-25: Encoding of UI
preview label
> Sent by:        oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net
>

> See attached proposal writeup.  I am intentionally trying to provide a
> minimal fix and not open another can of worms.
>
> I will proceed with making this change unless I hear any objections on
call
> today or via email by July 5.
>
> [1] - http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcCoreV2Issues #25
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Speicher | IBM Rational Software | (919) 254-0645
>
> [attachment "Issue-25 Proposal.pdf" deleted by John
Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM]